A Heart to Mend

​This play is about a girl (Angelina) who deals with rape and her family issues. She has a mother who isn't very supportive of her at all. He father raped her when she was seven years old. She falls under the pressure of suicidal. This play deals with a lot of difficult decisions, but luckily she found someone in Congo who went through the same issues as her. Congo, Africa is the capital city of rape. Through the social networking, Angelina met a girl name Zuri who helps her through her problem.

Act I, Scene II
ANGELINA

Stage Directions:
The whole stage is pitch dark. But there are two spotlights on Angelina and Suzan.

Angelina:
[She’s talking to the therapist; Angelina is sitting on a wooden chair and Suzan is sitting on a rolling chair with a notepad and a pen]  

[Sigh]
It’s been a long time since I’ve told someone this. You’re the second person to know. Please don’t tell anyone about this. Do you promise? I-I-was raped…by my dad when I was 7 years old.
[She catches her breath]

I still remember the very first time he put his dick in my vagina. We were at his friend’s house in New Hampshire. I don’t remember the time, but I do know it was really late at night. I was in full clothing and he was in his boxers. But that was normal because that’s how he went to sleep every night. He came to the bed and started to seduce me.
[She looks down and starts playing with her hands]

I turned away and then the whole incident happened. I blacked out. I don’t remember feeling the pain or him pushing his dick in my vagina. It was horrible, physically. I was dizzy. My thoughts just left me. Every time I think about THAT first night, it brings me to tears.
    [The therapist grabs her hands and holds them. Angelina’s hands begins to shake even more]

When I think about what happened, I feel anxious and broken hearted. When I look at myself in the mirror, I feel disgusted. He used by body for pleasure. For pleasure I tell you. Why me? I’m his blood. He created me. I just don’t understand why someone would hurt the one they love.
    [She shakes her head]

My body is a temple and I have to be sacred, but now that it’s not pure anymore, I don’t know how to look at body in a different way anymore. He caused me so much pain. I can’t even have intimacy with my partner without thinking he’s going to rape me. I’m scared. I don’t even know difference between making love and lusting. In the bible, it says “But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart”-Matthew 5:28. I live in a great world and I’m supposed to enjoy every moment of my life. BUT I CAN’T. Thanks to him. I can never have long relationships. I tend to runaway when a guy tells me that he l-l-lo-love me. Will I ever be in love with a male? Will I ever have children? Will I ever know what making love feels like? I mean, he didn’t rape me only ONCE, but many times. I would estimate around 20-----
    [Phone rings]

Hello? Yeah-yeah mom. I’m at therapy. Bu-but.
    [Rolls her eyes]

Alright. Fine. Bye.
    [She hangs up the phone]

I have to go. My mom wants me home.
    [She exits the stage and Suzan will leave as soon as the lights go off]

Stage Directions:
Turn off all lights and play some sad music.

Act II, Scene I
Stage Directions:
[Set a couch, table, some cups, and a rolling chair on stage]

[The mom is talking to the therapist; mom is sitting on the couch and the therapist is sitting on a comfy chair]

MELANIE

[She has a frozen face]
Honestly, I didn’t know how to react when my daughter old me that her own FATHER raped her. I-I-I just froze.
[Shrugs her shoulder and give an “I don’t care look]

I just don’t know what to say or feel. I’m the type of person that doesn’t open up to people. I’m only doing that with you because I’m forced to. I’m paying for something that I don’t even want to do. Hold on, I have a text message.
[Starts texting]

But yeah, I didn’t want to be here in the first place. Oh, I’m here to talking about my problems? I don’t wanna talk about my problems. Let’s talk about yours. Here’s the thing with therapy. They want to get all up in your problems.
[Makes swinging arms in a circle]

Therapy is good, but I mean, does it really help situations like this? The situation already happened. She’s gunna be scarred for life. What can you do? Give her some medication? Hahaha. I crack myself up.
[Slaps her knees]

No. Seriously. Why am I here?
[Scratches the back of her neck while saying]

Sigh, you’re just wasting your time. You’re not getting anything out of me.
[Phones ringing]

Excuse me. Hello? Hey, what’s up? Oh yeah? Nah nah, I’m not busy. Alright, I’ll be there in 5 minutes.
[Hangs up phone call, and gets up]

Well listen, it was nice meeting you. But I have errands to run.
[The mom leaves]

SUZAN
But—I’m not done.
    [Drops down her book and pen]

I’m not going to give up on this poor girl.

Stage Directions:
[Dim the lights down slowly and Suzan will walk off stage.]

Act II, Scene II
Stage Directions:
[The stage is set up as Angelina’s bedroom]
[She’s in her bra and panties; staring at herself in the mirror with a gun in one hand, a knife in the other, and a bible in front of her. She’s also talking out loud to God.]

ANGELINA
Why am I going through this pain? I don’t go through this Lord. I can’t handle the pain anymore. It’s tearing me apart. I have too much on my plate right now. Why are you doing this to me? Out of these girls on earth, why am I suffering so much? What did I ever do?
[She looks at herself in the mirror]

Look at this body. It looks so disgusting. I don’t feel sacred anymore. I look so skinny. THANKS TO HIM. I can’t eat or sleep. My eyes looks like air bags. What the hell? Every time I look at a plate of food, I just wanna throw up
[Gagging]

I think about that night all the time. He put me in the stage of depression. My parents abandoned me. My mom doesn’t care about what happened to me in the past. She thinks this is a joke when it’s not. She doesn’t understand how much that ONE moment impacted on my life. She’s doesn’t even know that I’m sitting here balling my eyes out. She doesn’t even know that I have a sharp knife in my left hand and a gun fully loaded with bullets in the other hand. This is not a game called Russian Roulette. This is a serious matter. It sucks to have parents that don’t care about how you’re feeling and just don’t give a SHIT about you. No wonder why I’m like this. Am I wrong? All my mom cares about is her stupid job. She put everything before me. What kind of parent is that? I always saw family giggling and smiling with each other on television. Why can’t I have that in my life? Is that too much to ask for?
[She points the gun to her head and breathing really hard. She’s closing her eyes tightly]

One...two....ahhh, I can’t do it...
[Takes in a deep breath]

Okay.
[Takes in deep breaths and the wind blows through her window and her bible flipped to Genesis 1: 26-27.]
[She puts down the gun and reads that page]

It said, “God has a great plan for your life. God has created us in his image. He created us for a purpose. God has a specific plan in mind for everyone.”
[Drops down to her knees and start crying even more]

Lord, is this a sign?

Act II, Scene III
FLASHBACK

Stage Directions:
The lights will be off. During this time, the people will set up the stage. While people are moving the things around, the sounds of police cars and helicopters are playing. Blue, red, and white lights will be flashing all over the stage. The stage is set up as a small bedroom. It will only have a bed and a little cabinet. These things will be facing to the side of the stage. Then the sounds will begin to fade away.

[John throws the younger version of Angelina on the bed]

JOHN
Take off your clothes right now!

ANGELINA
What are you doing?! I don’t want to take my clothes off.

JOHN
Shut up! I didn’t ask for you to talk. So take off your clothes now!
[Angelina tries to run away but as she gets off the bed, John grabs her by her hand and lay her down. He begins to duck tape her to the bed. He begins to seduce her and as he gets closer to her, the lights go dark.]

Act III, Scene I
Stage Directions:
The lights will only focus on the dad. But there’s a dim light on the therapist. Everything is blacked out.
[He’s talking to therapist] {He’s holding a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other} [He has an Asian person’s accent]

JOHN

How are you?
*Sigh*
I’m doing good.
[Takes a long breath]

I guess. So why am I here? What?! I-I-I didn’t do that. I never once touch that little girl! She’s lying to you. You know how kids are. They always make things up with their imagination. They think unicorns are real. C’mon now. How she knew about sex? I don’t know. I ain’t teach her that. She is learning by herself. Maybe her school taught her. I don’t know. I’M NOT LYING TO YOU!
[Tears are fallen down his eyes]

What am I doing? I-I-I don’t know what was running through my mind at the time. She was just lying there on my bed, sleeping like a little angel. An angel of mine. That night, I was with my bros. We were chillen, smoking, and drinking. We were all high and laughing at the stupidest things.
[Laughing out loud and smoking the cigarette]

I still remember that day as if it was yesterday.
 [Shaking his head]

Oh man, so much happened that night. Do I still remember what I did to my daughter? Just a little bit. I just know that we were in New Hampshire and I started to take off her clothes. I have no idea why I did that to her. Why THAT ONE night? I never done that to her before so I don’t know what got to me. Maybe it was because I was watching porn that night and I was horny. I mean, what’s a guy to do when he’s horny? Have sex.
    [Puts his head down]

My daughter was the only female figure in the house. It was all guys in the house. I’m not going to have sex with a guy. Fuck out of here! Excuse my language. I don’t regret doing that to my daughter. When I tell you to do something, do it. It’s not that hard. I told her to take off her pants and she wouldn’t listen so I did it myself. I have the rights to do whatever I want to my child. I made her so I have the right to do whatever I want. I do abuse her. It’s not my fault. Like I told you before, if she listens to me, none of this would of happened. You know what, I don’t wanna deal with this anymore. I’m out.
[He leaves the office]

Act III, Scene II
Stage Directions:
There will be little blue, red, and white lights around Suzan. But there will be one big spotlight on her as she sits in her seat.
[Therapist is sitting on the couch crossed legs and holding a notebook on her lap with a pen in her right hand. She’s talking into a video.]

[Click the recording button]

Journal number 13. As I’m listening to all of them talk to me, I can’t seem to understand her parents. She has a mom that doesn’t care about her and puts her job before her own child. And then you have a dad who scarred the poor girl for life. At least she has a boyfriend who supports her on anything. I don’t know the guy personally, but he seems like a good guy. I just can’t seem to understand why her parents are like that. I’m a mom. I have 2 kids. A boy and a girl. I would never put my job before my child. Especially if I knew about her pain. The only job that really matters is being a mother. That’s the greatest job God can give to any woman. I try to be understanding and see the points that they’re making but it doesn’t click to me and I can’t seem to soak it in. So, I told Angelina to check out Congo. As I know, Congo is the capital of rape. I wanted her to realize that she’s not alone in this situation. What she doesn’t know is that I have connection over there because I also work at a company that corresponds with rape in Congo. I picked a girl out for Angelina to talk to through Facebook and her name is Zuri Robinson.
[She stops recording]

Act III, Scene III

Stage Directions:
Half of the stage will be set with as Angelina’s room while the other half will be set as the library.

ZURI

[She is typing a message to Angelina on Facebook.]

Dear Angelina,
Hello, my name is Zuri. I am from Congo, Africa. Suzan had contacted me over the past couple of days. She told me about your story. I know you told her not to tell anyone about your issue but she only told me because I know exactly how you feel. So please don’t be mad at her. It’s only for the better for you and I. I’ve been raped as well. So many times. I can’t even count. You are not alone in this situation. I cry each night to sleep. I live in a poor country that barely has food, money, shelters, anything. I live in a little hut with my mom and my younger brother. We starve most of the days. My mom can’t leave my side because she’s scared that some man will come in and rape me. I’m scared as well. I feel trapped in my own little hut. I wish I had freedom. I wish I can just walk outside and not worry about a guy raping me. So I definitely know where you’re coming from. It’s a shame that your mom doesn’t care about you and the fact that your own dad raped you. I try to turn my situation into a positive thing. I believe in God as well. I’d learned that God will not give you a problem if he knows you can’t handle it. I feel as though that what happened to me was for a reason. It made me stronger as a person. It’s giving me an opportunity to meet new people just like you. It has given me the strength to grow as a person and help other people. You go through the same situation as me so it’s easy for me to talk to you. I’m able to turn a negative problem into a positive thing. Maybe you should as well. I feel as though I have it tougher than you because Congo is the capital of rape. Us girls get raped every minute. If I’m able to come out strong, I’m confident that you can as well. Please write back. Love, Zuri.

Stage Directions:
The light switches to Angelina’s side of the stage

[Angelina writes back to Zuri]

Hello there. I’m not mad at all. I highly appreciate you taking your time out to write me a message. Wow, your story truly inspires me. I cry myself to sleep every night as well. It’s not a great thing. But I mean, it happens. It just suck because both of my parents are screwed up. It’s just not fair. And wow, you can’t even walk out the house? That’s crazy. I’m really sorry for you. I try to think that God is watching over me but I would hesitate sometimes. I don’t deserve this at all. I’m a very good person. I try to help everyone but it seems like I’m always getting hurt. I mean, if you can turn something negative into a positive thing then I can do it as well. I have an idea. I’m going to scare my mom. That should give her a wake up call. Well I have to go. Talk to you later. P.S. stay strong. Thank you. Love, Angelina.

Act III, Scene IV

Stage Directions:
The stage is set up as a funeral home.

[Melanie is sitting in the therapist waiting room. Suzan opens up the door and welcomes mom inside. Inside the office, there was a casket wrapped in red cloth symbolizing Angelina’s favorite color. The room was pure dark with candle lights surrounding the casket.]

Melanie: What is this?

Suzan: This is how your daughter’s funeral is going to look of you don’t take care of her.

[Suzan walks her to the casket. Mom slowly walks to the casket. Touching it very gently. Soothing her hand along the side. Her face is in full guilty. One hand is oer her mouth and she’s holding Suzan’s hands with the other]

Mom: This is her favorite color. My little girl.

[Suzan opens up the casket and in there lays Angelina. Angelina’s face is stoned. NO MOVEMENT. Mom takes a huge step back with shocker. She was trying to catch on to her breath]

Mom: Oh my goodness. My little girl. What happen to her? Why is she in here?

[She slowly touches her daughter meanwhile Angelina is pretending that she’s dead. Suzan closes the casket]

Suzan: Angelina, you can come out now.

Angelina comes out the casket and hugs her mom. While they’re hugging, they says:

Mom: [crying really hard] I’m so sorry. I don’t want you to end up like this. Please forgive me, I’m sorry. Please forgive me. I promise to put you before work. I’ll do anything. Just don’t die on me.