Ayo-ola Hooks-Gibbs

During the nutrition period, I already knew the basics, but I also learned and gained even more information as we went along and covered the surface of nutrition and how it effects us in positive and negative ways. What I see as the biggest problems with our food system is how  kids are taught what to eat at a young age. The influences are the parents and I think that’s part of the problem. During this section, I’ve learned that only people who don’t have enough money are the ones who eat fast foods, but also people who don’t have time. I always had the thought that the less money you had, the harder the time someone had in order to feed their family healthy foods. Fast food is convient and that’s what everyone likes about, and people know that it’s not good for their health, but they ignore that fact and focus on the flavor and the price.

During one of or assignments, was about food rules, and I think that everyone has food rules that’s based off of what they eat. What reading the two articles, I noticed right off the back that, the author’s a healthy eater, because of the food rules and what he goes by, day by day.  I believe that food rules, is something that people learn when younger and grow up following that food rule(s).

I’ve grown up in a family that eats healthy and always made sure that we had a salad with every meal. Once I began to go to high school, I had freedom, food wise. I was around tons of food places and I could whatever I wanted without anyone’s permission. My state of mind about food and my perspective changed. I began to eat more junk food, and I noticed that during high school, it makes you want to eat all the time. The changes I cold make, is to cut down the chips and try to drink water more often. I’ve began to eat things that consisted of the same ingredients, cheese, bread, sauce, beans, rice. What I’d like to do is cut back on that, increase with ore natural foods. I feel as though I’m willing to make those changes, as long as I set a goal for myself, for every week. The impact wouldn’t be much, at the beginning of eating foods like that I’d get multiple pimples, but the amount of pimples I get has minimized to one, once in a blue moon. The only impact I’d have will be better health. 

Ingredients:

about 3 cups cooked chicken

6-8 cups chicken broth

2 cups flour

salt 

Recipe:

First make the chicken stock or buy chicken stock, and the chicken, for roughly 2 hours.

Cup of flour add water until it becomes dough and in to a ball.

Roll out the ball flat and thinly

Cut in to squares

After 2 hours of the chicken boiling, add the squares of dough

leave it in for about 30 minutes.

Use the nutritional info on the label to estimate the caloric content, sugar content, fat content, etc. 

The chicken doesn't contain any sugar, etc. 

The chicken stock was made:

1 carrot, peeled and chopped

• 1 onion, peeled and quartered
  • 1 stalk celery roughly chopped
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 3 fresh parsley stalks
  • 1 sprig fresh thyme

How will your body deal with what you ate? 
  • How my body will deal with what I ate will not be negatively, because everything was made freshly, including the chicken stock. How the various parts of the meal are processed by my body is, isn't as bad or compares to how it's digested when eating unhealthy foods.

Possible issues that would arise if i ate tis meal everyday would be high blood pressure, because of the amount of sodium in the chicken and dumplings.

How are the various parts of the meal processed by your body?  What are some possible health issues that could arise if you ate nothing but this meal every day?

•Environmental:  

State/Country I think my ingredients came from, the chicken, I don't know. After watching the movie aout the chickens being in different areas. I'm guessing the chicken came from a place where it was copped up with hundreds of other chickens. I think that the chicken would've traveled longer. The rest of the things I used, was local. Also the flour, I'm not completely sure.I don't think any of the products used were processed.

•Political/economic: 

This meal cost, ingredients wise no more than 15 dollars.How the meal compares to fast food, would only be the chicken, but not entirely because some fast food places don't use real chicken for example McDonalds. But the chicken would compare to Chik Fil A more than any of the other fast food place. The reason why it doesn't compare to fast food as much because fresh none processed foods has been incorporated in the dish. I don't think chicken and dumplings fully compares to fast food except fort the chicken part.The person that made money off of my meal is the company of the chicken product which I don't know of, most likely the path mark brand(path mark) or Purdue  The small businesses that are involved is the fresh produce place where we bought the ingredients for the chicken stock.

•Social:  

The social ramifications of my meal choice is the fact that my great grandmother used to make chicken and dumplings on both my mom and dad's side. Things traced from the farm is the chicken, previously what I wrote about the chicken is that they're put in all different type of pins, around the country, so I don't know where exactly the chicken came from. The food items were purchased from path mark and the market. Ingredients that compare to a commercial production would be the celery used, and the chicken. The celery, and the time is something that could be made yourself, but instead on the commercial selling for a low price. Their aren't many other ingredients that i could incorporate that's an commercial product and could also be an self-sufficient product. 

Slogan:

Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 12.25.44 PM-1
Screen Shot 2014-01-14 at 12.25.44 PM-1