Benchmark Reflection (Rafi)

Reflection Questions:

How does this project relate to the real world?
This project relates to the real world because it shows real life methods of measuring buildings. People may not always have measuring tape to measure buildings so the stick and mirror method make the process very easy. Furthermore we showed how architects realistically measure the area of a building so they can do things such as paint buildings while accounting for the space that windows take up on a building. Another example of how this project relates to the real world is that we found the area of windows which many carpenters do in order to replace them or make them bigger.

What was the most exciting portion of this project and why? What was the least
exciting portion to this project and why?
The most exciting portion of this project was when we got to go outside and do our methods of finding building height. It was a nice change of pace to be able to go outside and smell fresh air whilst still continuing our mathematical studies. Also I got see more of the buildings surrounding Science Leadership Academy. The least exciting portion of this project was doing the calculations for each method. It was tedious and problematic to understand how the stick and mirror methods worked but when we set up the proportions everything became clear.

What did you learn from completing this project? 
From this project I learned how to manually calculate the height of a building with very simple objects. I learned how helpful a mirror and stick can be when I need to find the height of something. Also I learned how google earth works and how people update building dimensions on google map maker. One of the coolest things I learned was how to find elevation on google earth. I saw that the elevation of the ground on google earth was not zero feet and I had to subtract what ever number was at ground height from the elevation that the building was via google earth.

-2
-2