Check Your Phone

Check Your Phone: By Todd Samuels

“Hello TJay The Poet is there anything I can get for you?” said the assistant in the studio.

“Just some water, please call Magic my engineer his number is in the book on your desk and turn the microphone on for me. Make it quick!”

*Checks emails from producers*

*sips coffee and opens email*

*Listens to the tracks from friend in disgust*

*slams down coffee*

*scrolls through phone to producers contact*

Yo dawg this music isn’t right you sent me 10 beats and I only like 2 of them. Which means you’re only giving me 20%. I need 100% of everything that we do or we’ll be recording in your sisters basement forever. Of course I’m glad she let us record here but in order for us to take this to the next level we HAVE to have the best beats. Everyone is trying to be a producer now a days in order to not be considered wack you HAVE to be better I’m only telling you because  I care about your well being. I want the best for us; the best for you.  

We could be like Jay Z and Timbaland or Drake and 40 we could be the greatest but you choose not to be great you settle for mediocre not I don't care what you have to say you've said enough I'm done listening to your excuses I'm asking for better , we can't even finish a full project because the tracks never are similar either they're too fast too slow too sad too loud or I just don't like them I want to help you get better but you have to want to help yourself in order for us to get better.

Yes I said us not I we need to be a team we need to be like Kobe and Shaq don't tell me what I should be doing because I know what I'm doing it's the poet. This game is about consistency! You have to be on the same page as me! You don't do anything right we have deadlines! Everything has to go accordingly today I pay my money for studio time and my beats from you aren't finalized they aren't even done. I can't believe you're the only producer I had and you've been my friend since kindergarten! I don't understand why this isn't working but I know I need you to be better I constantly try to be better too I work on my craft every night I'm always trying to make us better I don't think you understand how much better you would be if you gave me better tracks in fact I'll make them myself I don’t need you..

And no no do not cut me off I’m not finished talking. I should have just stopped working with you a long time ago you aren’t even worth the effort. I hope you consider what I’m saying because I came all the way to the studio and you still have nothing valid to say. You know I’ve always been there through when you started making beats you were terrible. I even paid for your first piano with my share of the money “we” made shoveling! I want better, better than better we have to do better as a team. You’re a recluse you just sit in the house and tap tap on that piece of shit piano! Oh, and that tag you use on all your beats guess who”s voice that is ?! Its mine once again helping you. NOW help me your friend your brother.

*assistant walks back in*

“Excuse.. m” said the assistant being cut off by me.

“No get the hell out I” fired back.

“But sir” the assistant  responded.

“Hold on” I said to my producer on the phone.

“Now what do you want scrub” I said to the assistant.

“Well I hope you know since you are sitting in the booth you do not get service in there” said the assistant.

“What you really interrupted me for that?” I said.

I looked at my phone pulling it away from my ear then I realized it was black, I wasn’t even talking to anyone.

I slammed my phone on the floor, it does have an otter box so it didn’t break.

“Sir?” the assistant said the microphone was on the whole time too, and you have a guest.

“Who this is a private session” I said.

“Your producer” the assistant said.

He was on the other side of the glass looking dead at me apparently he heard everything I said anyway.