"Drive" Film Review

The movie Drive, starring Ryan Gosling (Driver) and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, is about a Hollywood stuntman who finds himself in a troubled situation when he tries to help his neighbor’s husband collect some money to pay off dues.

This was a very interesting movie. I can’t say that I enjoyed the characters, but the camera angles, soundtrack, and use of lighting were absolutely amazing. The use of camera angles is what truly set the tone of this movie. Throughout the film, I noticed that many of the scenes were shot from an upward angle to give Ryan Gosling (Driver) an intimidating feel, and make him a bit of a scary character. A perfect example of this is when Ryan Gosling is walking towards the dressing room with the hammer in his hand, and because this scene was shot in an upward angle, it made him seem very intimidating. Another scene that shows a great example as to why the camera angles were such a key element in this film is when Ryan Gosling enters his apartment for the first time. The camera angle that the director used for this scene allowed for Ryan Gosling’s shadow to block out the light shining through the window and create a perfect outline of himself, which for me, introduced Ryan Gosling’s character; a very mysterious, and creepy person.

The next most important element was the soundtrack. The entire film was very dark and mysterious, and the songs that the director used did not match the tone of the movie very well because they were more on the “cheerful” side and outgoing, which made the movie even more eerie than it already was. The soundtrack also really added to Ryan Gosling’s character, and made him more threatening, and even scary at times.

The third most important element was the lighting. Most of the film consisted of scenes that were very dim (disregarding that we watched it on the projector), which also really set the tone of the movie along with the camera angles and soundtrack. The little amount of lighting that was used consistently throughout the film added to the mysterious, and threatening side of Ryan Gosling’s character as well. However, the lighting had the most effectiveness during the elevator scene, when it was dimmed down, to focus in on the kiss between Driver and Irene. The use of lighting during this particular scene showed the importance of it, and that it was not only a turning point in the story, but also a huge turning point for Driver as well.

There were many amazing scenes in this film, all of which were amazing because of the camera angles, soundtrack, and lighting. As I said before, one of the most important scenes in this film was the elevator scene when Driver kissed Irene for the first and last time. The way the lighting was used in this scene made it one of the most important because it added to the fact that that specific moment in the film was a game changer. Another important scene in this film was when Driver was walking towards the dressing room with the hammer in his hand. The camera angles used in this scene are what made it stand out because it made Driver seem very threatening, and someone that is not to be messed with. The scene that took place right after Driver was walking towards the dressing room is when Driver is on the phone with Nino standing over his henchman. For this particular scene, the camera was low to the ground facing up at Driver’s face with his hand gripped tightly around the hammer, which showed the side of Driver that he was trying to hide from Irene.

Finally, the most important part of the movie for me was the beginning sequence. This is because all of the scenes that made up the intro of the movie were shot within the car, and made me understand the complexity of the storyline of the movie, and the style and flow of the movie as well. Also, the very little dialogue that Driver had in the beginning of the film made me develop an understanding of his character.

I would have to say that he most compelling as well as most important storyline of Drive had to be the feelings between Driver and Irene because it developed and set up the start for the second storyline. If Driver and Irene didn’t develop a relationship, there would not have been another storyline within the film.

It was excellent how the two storylines were woven together, however, the storyline between Driver and Irene was frustrating for me at times because there wasn’t much dialogue exchanged between them, which made it hard for me to connect to that part of the film.

When it comes to the thematic elements, Drive was an amazing film, a work of art. However, I’m not sure whether or not I liked the characters of the film, especially Driver, because he didn’t have much dialogue, and not much of a personality to me as well. Although the lack of dialogue that Driver had made me very curious as to whom he was, and his background, it was still annoying for me at times. Overall, Driver was an excellent film, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is very much into watching movies, and focusing on the thematic elements.