Food Project

Angel Food Cake

Ingredients:

• Sugar

• Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour

• Wheat Starch

• Powdered Egg Whites

• Leavening

• Corn Starch

• 1.25 Cups Water

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 350°F

• Blend cake mix and water

• Mix until smooth

• Pour into pan

• Bake for 38 to 48 minutes.

• When done the top will be golden brown and flaky.

• Wait until cool then remove.  

Analysis:

• Because the  Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour, Wheat Starch, Powdered Egg Whites, Leavening and Corn Starch were a part of the mix they are processed. So about 90% is processed food at least.

Health/nutrition:  

• One slice is a serving and thats 140 calories. There is no saturated or trans fat. No cholesterol, There is 280 mg of sodium  23 g of sugar, 3g of protein, 15% Calcium and 4% Iron.  Even though nothing the cake is over normal levels but a lot of sodium it could cause high blood pressure. If you eat nothing but this meal every day you would be missing most of what you need to a balanced diet. This could make you hypoglycemic.  

Environmental:  

• Because it was processed that means that whoever grown these things were probably not organic farmers. Because of this that means that there were problemy many different pesticides and hormones used to grow these things.

Political/economic:

• This meal cost two dollars. This is just as if not cheaper than a fast food desert. The FDA has a lot of sugar regulation. (c)Sugar content claims --(1)Use of terms such as "sugar free," "free of sugar," "no sugar," "zero sugar," "without sugar," "sugarless," "trivial source of sugar," "negligible source of sugar," or "dietarily insignificant source of sugar." Consumers may reasonably be expected to regard terms that represent that the food contains no sugars or sweeteners e.g., "sugar free," or "no sugar," as indicating a product which is low in calories or significantly reduced in calories. Consequently, except as provided in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, a food may not be labeled with such terms unless. Is one of them.  The rest can be found at http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm?fr=101.60. Who made money off your meal?  Pinnacle Food Corporation and Duncan Hines.

Social:  

• Sugarcane is made in Florida,Hawaii, Louisiana and Texas. To get to philadelphia it would have to be driven or flown. If i grow my own sugar there would not be a need for gas to get it here. Plus sugar that is made with high fructose corn syrup is is short supply because corn is being used for fuel.  Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour is missing the original, naturally occurring vitamins and minerals found in whole-grain wheat.  With consumers increasingly aware of the detrimental health consequences of consuming processed, milled grains, food companies and bread manufacturers have been steadily shifting away from using the term “white flour” and instead using “wheat flour” on their products. So if I grow my own wheat it would be better for me and again there will be no need for gas.

Personal Reflection:
I have learned a lot this unit. I think that the biggest problem in out food system is that the government and FDA does not monitor our food in the right ways. We could have food that is labeled genetically modified. This way less people would pay it. And we know that this is true because of the study that we read about at the hospital. If people see healthy food option they will buy it. The other problem is that eating whole foods is so expansive. I think that if those prices were the same as the prices are the average store them everyone would eat healthy. However when a whole food tomato is 5 dollars and a genetically modified is three for one dollar that is what makes the difference.  I think that the thing that stuck me most was that fact that most of our food is made of corn and or soybean. My part in this system should be someone who buys and eats whole foods however like I said its too costly. Because of this I dont think that I will be be able to make any change to this until I am an adult. BUt I would be will to make that change if it was the one paying for it.