Invasion of Kuwait

http://30993590.nhd.weebly.com/
Process Paper

I picked my topic for NHD because I originally wanted to do a project on the history of the Marine Corp and my teacher told me to do my project on Kuwait since I can’t just write on the history of the Marines since it has to do with Revolution, Reaction, and Reform.  Another reason why I chose to do my project on the Invasion of Kuwait is because my brother is a Marine that went to Afghanistan on deployment and since then I’ve been interested in Afghanistan and Iraq so it was fun learning about the history of Iraq.

I conducted my research in many different ways. At first, I typed “Invasion of Kuwait” into google and got some sites but not many. Then I used DEVONagent, a research database browser, and did more in-depth research on the Invasion of Kuwait, the Allied forces taking back Kuwait and the sanctions that the UN put on Iraq. To get the modern day information, I talked to my brother who recently went to Afghanistan and knows about the conditions over there and in Iraq and used some emails we shared while he was over there.

To select my project format for NHD I chose what category I’m best with which is site creation. I normally make sites for my projects so I decided to do another one.

My project related to the NHD theme of Revolution, Reaction and Reform because the Invasion of Kuwait was the reaction to many actions that occurred between Kuwait and Iraq that made Saddam Hussein invade Kuwait. The Take back of Kuwait by the UN forces was the Revolution because the Kuwaitis revolted against Saddam along with 31 other countries to end the Iraqi occupation of Kuwait. Finally, the Reform is the sanctions placed on Iraq after they were kicked out of Kuwait because to prevent the Iraqis from occupying another country, the UN placed economic sanctions that prevented Iraq from importing anything but essential needed to maintain life in Iraq into Iraq. 

Annotated Bib
-"Gulf War." Magnum Photos. Web. 24 Feb. 2012. <http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox_VPage>. 
          -I used these pictures because they show how the Gulf War looked like when it occurred and showed me a picture of what happened in the Gulf War. They show the suffering of the Kuwaitis in the Gulf War and brings to light a true image of the war and what happened in the war. For example the burning of the oil wells in Kuwait when the Iraqis came in. I learned from these pictures the horrors of war especially in the Middle East. This is how I used the pictures from Magnum photos  to portray how Kuwait was devastated by the Iraqis.
-"Un Sanctions in Iraq." Magnum Photos. Web. 24 Feb. 2012. <http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox_VPage>.            -I used these pictures because they let me peer into the past and how the UN sanctions affected Iraq and devastated their economy and life. I learned that the sanitation was horrible to the point that in the pictures disease struck Iraq and forced people to be put in the hospital. I used these pictures to let other people see the disease stricken Iraq and how bad they were doing when the sanctions were placed on Iraq. That is how I used the pictures from magnum Photos to let people peer into the past and see the suffering the Iraqis have faced since the sanctions were placed on them.
-Morales, Nicholas. "Afghanistan and Happy New Years." Message to Michael Morales. 03/01/2011. E-mail.
            -In this email, my family talked to my brother Nicholas who was deployed to Afghanistan and had a lot to say regarding the situation in Afghanistan and Iraq. I used this since he said how his soldiers were wounded while there and the topic I was working on was the War on Terror. Nick is a soldier in the Marine Corp who experienced many terrible things in Afghanistan and came back to us we are happy. I used this conversation to show the horrors of the War on Terror and show people that it isn’t just the Iraqis that are being hurt but the soldiers too and that it is affecting them on a mental and physical level. 
 -Morales, Tyler. "Latest from Nick." . Tyler Morales, 03/01/2011. -Web. 24 Feb 2012. <http://db.tt/EoRIA0sB>.
             -In this document is the email I talked about before. My family talked to my brother Nicholas who was deployed to Afghanistan and had a lot to say regarding the situation in Afghanistan and Iraq. I used this since he said how his soldiers were wounded while there and the topic I was working on was the War on Terror. Nick is a soldier in the Marine Corp who experienced many terrible things in Afghanistan and came back to us we are happy. I used this conversation to show the horrors of the War on Terror and show people that it isn’t just the Iraqis that are being hurt but the soldiers too and that it is affecting them on a mental and physical level.
-"Iraq War." Magnum Photos. Web. 24 Feb. 2012. <http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox_VPage>.
              -I used these pictures to display what it looks like in Iraq right now and the people and the soldiers are suffering and they are working tirelessly to stabilize the region of Iraq that the Taliban are hiding in and to win the trust of the Iraqi population so that they will accept that the US will protect them and that they should tell the Americans where the Taliban soldiers are hiding. I learned from them that my brother wasn’t the only one that had a hard and long journey in Iraq and Afghanistan, there were many American soldiers that had to serve in the war and these pictures commemorate those that fought in the war.
-Burgan Burning Oil Fields. N.d. Photograph. Magnum Photos
              -I used this picture because it shows soldiers in Kuwait walking down the road where at the end of the road is an oil field bringing which the Iraqis burned on their march home from Kuwait. I learned from this picture that the Iraqis are heartless until they achieve their goals, at least they were under Saddam Hussein and while they were invading Kuwait. I also learned from the faces of the American Soldiers that they are proud of what they did and are proud of their countries and would fight again if they could. That is how I used the picture of the soldiers walking down the road from a oil field being burned.