Nebuchadnezzar's Slave

A man rushed through the door and walked briskly toward the steps leading to where Nebuchadnezzar sat in his throne. The man kneeled and tilted his head down. He heard a powerful, booming voice. “You may rise” Nebuchadnezzar said. The man stood and announced “Your conquest of Judea has been successful”. Nebuchadnezzar looked pleased. To conquer Judah was not his original intention, but eventually, it became clear that in order to capture the Egyptian Army, they would need to get through the Judeans. The city of Jerusalem was held under siege longer than expected and Nebuchadnezzar had grown anxious for its destruction. “Good” Nebuchadnezzar said. “Do you have the slaves?” “Yes sir.” the man said. He yelled and the doors to the throne room burst open once again. Two lines of slaves, none of them particularly strong looking, walked into the throne room in chains and tattered clothing. All of the Judean soldiers and strong men would be used to build monuments and other massive structures. These slaves were here to serve the King, Nebuchadnezzar.

Cheers burst forth from the crowds. The people of Babylonia adored Nebuchadnezzar. He had completely rebuilt the Empire and had turned Babylon into a thriving city-state like it once was when Hammurabi was king. Nebuchadnezzar smiled and waved. He loved his people. Even many of the ones whom he had conquered he had also come to love. As he walked through the busy streets of Babylon, he could not get the face of one particular slave out of his mind. He was a new slave, a Judean, who had been assigned to serve Nebuchadnezzar his wine. As Nebuchadnezzar’s cup was being filled the night before, he caught a glance from the slave; a look of disgust that unsettled the King like nothing else before. As Nebuchadnezzar thought of this slave’s look and the feeling that it brought, he grew confused. Nebuchadnezzar was a warrior at heart. He had killed many men and looked into their eyes which were raging with anger, as he did so. Why was this slave’s look of anger and disgust particularly bothersome to a person who had experienced much worse hatred? As he walked, the question kept popping into Nebuchadnezzar’s head. He called to his attendant “I want all of my house slaves lined up in the throne room when we get back”. “Yes, sir” his attendant said. As Nebuchadnezzar began to think about this slave again, he could hear his attendant yelling orders at a messenger in the background.

Nebuchadnezzar slowly walked up the palace steps surrounded by guards. He continued thinking about this slave whose face had been stuck in his head for nearly a day now. When he reached the palace doors, the guards opened them for him. In his throne room, on either side, his slaves stood perfectly still. After Nebuchadnezzar settled, he walked up and down his throne room, carefully looking for the slave whose face had fixed itself in his memory. He asked a slave “What is your name?”. “Arishaka” the slave replied. “Where are you from?” the King asked. “I am an Assyrian”. This was not the slave he was looking for. Nebuchadnezzar looked disappointed. He turned around. Nebuchadnezzar was startled. He saw the slave as though he had appeared out of thin air. “What is your name?” “Benjamin” replied the slave. This was a name that stood out to Nebuchadnezzar. Even though the language of the Judeans and Babylonians were very similar, somehow there names were very different. “Where are you from?” Nebuchadnezzar asked. “Judea” the slave replied. Nebuchadnezzar was obviously satisfied. The King dismissed everybody from his throne room.

He was almost certain he would be killed. Why would the king look at him that way? What other type of satisfaction does such a tyrant have from a slave if he does not kill him? Benjamin was severely concerned. He decided there was nothing to do but pray. He closed his eyes and began. After five minutes of silent prayer, Benjamin was violently pulled from his position. God did not hear him. Benjamin was brought back into the throne room. This time, it was only him. Usually, there were some slaves surrounding the oppressor to serve him. This time, he was alone. Nebuchadnezzar stood from his throne and walked towards the slave. “You said your name was Benjamin?” “That is correct, sir”. “And last night, you served me wine. Is that also correct?” Nebuchadnezzar asked. The slave replied “Yes. This is also true”. Now, Nebuchadnezzar knew for sure that he had the right slave. “While you were serving me wine, I noticed an unpleasant look from you. Why was that?” Benjamin knew exactly what the dictator was talking about. Initially, he felt shame and anger that he could do something so foolish. He wished his mistake didn't cost him so dearly. Then, he felt the way he had when he gave the despot that look. His family was killed, his city destroyed. This man lived for nothing. He responded with this thought in mind. “You destroyed my home, killed my family, and took me as your slave”. The king was more than surprised that a slave had the audacity to respond in this way. “Saying something like that could easily get you killed” Nebuchadnezzar said. “Yes. Have you not brought me here to kill me?”. “Your disgusted look has stuck in my mind for a day now. That is why I brought you here. To learn why you look so negatively upon me. I still don’t understand your anger. You have been made a part of the greatest empire on earth”. Benjamin was frustrated now. “How would you feel if you had been conquered?” Benjamin asked. Nebuchadnezzar was a little offended when he heard the question. He really believed that he ruled the greatest empire on earth and seeing it destroyed seemed like an impossibility. Nonetheless, Nebuchadnezzar began to understand what the slave was talking about. With a new understanding, Nebuchadnezzar freed the slaves of Judea except for the prisoners of war. From that day on, the Judeans thrived in Babylonia and even when the Babylonians had been conquered and Cyrus of Persia let the Judeans back into Judah, many of them refused and stayed in Babylonia because of what Nebuchadnezzar made possible.