Parents & Marriage= Nightmare

Parents & Marriage= Nightmare

Comparing “Taming of the Shrew” to “Baggage Claim”  

As "The Taming of the Shrew" proves, parents being involved in their child marriage doesn't always end well. In "Shrew," Baptista says some pretty hurtful and demanding things to Katherine which makes her not want to get married. It also makes her resentful of her fathers wishes. In the 2013 movie "Baggage Claim," the main character’s mother sets out to do the same--only this time it's harder for her to find a husband.

Baptista and Catherine share similar thought processes. They believe pushing their child into marriage is what's best for them. The parents have full support by both character’s younger sister and other family members however, Katherine and Montana show much resistance. Both eventually give in to please themselves and their mother and father.

Montana becomes so sick and annoyed by her mother and younger sister, who is engaged to be married, she embarks on a thirty-day, thirty-thousand-mile expedition to woo a potential suitor into becoming her fiancé. Katherine goes about dealing with this by resisting Petruchio’s offer to marry but giving in because she wants to make her father and sister happy. The two situations are very similar but give off different effects on each family. These texts reflect that parents have a hold on their child life even when they are an adult, but because of this, it makes the child feel resentment towards their parents.

Baptista is speaking to Bianca’s suitors and they are talking about how much they love Bianca and wish to marry her. Bianca and Katherine enter and Baptista continues the conversation with the suitors. Due to the fact that Bianca is younger she has to wait for Katherine to wed before she can do the same.

If either of you both love Katharina,

Because I know you well and love you well,

Leave shall you have to court her at your pleasure”.

(Act l, Scene i, 52-55)

When Baptista says this to the suitors he’s downgrading Katherine right in front of her face. He has just said I know you love my youngest daughter but my oldest daughter also needs a husband and because I know and love you very much you can just take her. He didn't ask if she wanted to marry either of them or even get married at all. Baptista was forcing marriage upon her.

Bianca, Katherine and their father are in their home talking about the marriage situation. Bianca has made it clear that she really wants to get married and Katherine is in her way. The three begin to argue about. Baptista is taking Bianca’s side and is telling Katherine that she has a devilish spirit.

Montana was at her little sister rehearsal dinner and one of ex-boyfriends, Langston came in. Montana was in the process of making an announcement. However, she was stalling because she didn't have anything to say because, she wasn't engaged. When Langston walked in she was in complete and utter shock. He begin talking and she was still in shock she didn't say anything. After he was finished his speech he got down on one knee and proposed to Montana. Her family cheered in the excitement they had for her. Her mother stood up and said of course she accepts. Sadly, Montana had no desire to marry Langston and her and her mother begin to argue.

Catherine downgraded and embarrassed Montana a tremendous amount by saying she should marry Langston. She had never met Langston before yet, she was ready to marry her daughter off to him. When Catherine did that she made it clear that she wanted a husband for Montana and she didn't care who it was,

What, will you not suffer me? Nay, now I see. She is your treasure, she must have a husband;"

(Act l, Scene ii, 75)

Katherine is feeling so low and pushed to the side its caused her to fight with her father. She tells him what shes feeling inside and she’s not a “devil.” Baptista thinks hes doing whats best for his daughters but he’s really doing whats best for just for Bianca. He’s not taking the time to figure of what shes acting the way she does or why she has just said that she feels like Bianca is her treasure. Not once does Baptista ask Katherine if she wants to get married or if she wants Bianca to get married first. Baptista is pushing Katherine away by forcing her to marry and she will continue to angry with him or resent what he’s forcing her to do.

Much like in “Shrew” Montana’s younger sister was big on marriage and  just  became engaged.

Montana was in her apartment when her mother and sister barged in with “big news.” Sheree was only a sophomore in college and she was engaged to the star football player. Her mother told her because he had so much money and such a bright future she had nothing to worry about so she accepted the invitations.

When Montana saw the ring and heard the announcement she knew her mother was going to pressure her into getting married. Montana’s mother knew her youngest daughter was ready for marriage she told her to do it for the wrong reason. If she continues to push Montana the same way as she pushed Sheree none of their marriages will last and both daughter will be full of anger with their mother.

In both “Shrew” and “Baggage Claim” a lot of themes were introduced over the course of the book/movie. The themes ranged from parental interference, societies attitude towards courtship/dating, honesty and deception in relationships and more. The main focus was parental push. Parental push in dating and marriage will mostly likely always end in disaster. Mainly because parents will pick a person that will make them happy and not their sons or daughters.  

Citations

Shakespeare, William. The Taming of the Shrew;. New York: Washington Square, 1992. Print.

Talbert, David E. "Watch Baggage Claim Online | Watch Full Baggage Claim (2013)."Baggage Claim. Watch32, n.d. Web. 06 Dec. 2013.