Sarah, Our Daughter's Name

(*Roneay is sitting on her bed listening to music, when she gets a Facebook notification on her phone. It says: “Tyrone is now in a relationship.” Then she sighs.)

His name is Tyrone. He was cute. So darn cute. Everyday I would... just…just…just. How can I put this? (*She pauses) Stalk him. That’s how cute he was!

I remember the first time I saw him like it was yesterday. He was getting something from his locker. Wait…! I remember what it was! It was that black and white marble notebook that he’s always writing in. I wonder what he writes about? Wait… what if it’s me?! (*She says excitedly, then calms down) Well not after what happened today.

So, anywho, he dropped the book on the floor and reached down to pick it up. But I rushed to get the book for him, because I thought it be a polite thing to do. So when I handed it to him, he looked me right dead into my eyes. (*Pause) My heart was beating so fast, I couldn’t control it. Then he said the most sweetest thing ever. I was so mesmerized. He said… he said… “Thanks.” (*She puts her hand on her head and sighs) I almost fainted at the sound of his voice.

So that’s where my obsession began. Everyday I would follow him in the hallway. I would sit next to him in English class. I would even try to sit as close as possible to his table at lunch. He would always sit with his guy friends, in the corner of the lunch room, laughing at ever was so darn funny on his cell phone.

So then I would memorize all his classes. Everyday, he would have foreign language first, then math, then chemistry. And after that, he’d have English class, with me. And his last two classes would be an elective and history. So I thought that stalking would allow me to get to know him, without even knowing him.

Everyday I would go on Facebook and search, Tyrone Gibbons. I would see if he made any new statuses, if he uploaded any pictures, or if it said that he was in a relationship. I was so relieved to find out that he was single. So that gave me the chance to make my move.

I really loved him. Honestly, I really did. He was so cute with his rosy red cheeks and his deep dimples. Everytime he smiled, his dimples would get deeper and deeper. Then they’d just disappear. I also loved his brown, curly hair. He wore it in this flowing, curly afro style, so everytime he jumped, his hair just flopped around on da’ top of his head. Then there’s his eyes! His crystal blue eyes! When you look into them, you feel as if you’re floating on the wave of the Pacific.

He was so beautiful. So, I thought, we would have some awesome babies. They’d have long, curly hair. And be fair skinned. And be geniuses, of course. If we had a girl, we’d name her Mary or Sarah. And if we had a boy, we’d name him be Samuel or Miles.

We would have a perfect life together. We’d live in some big old house, somewhere in the suburbs. I planned that we would grow old together, very old. Very, very old. So when I found out that he rode the same train as me, I thought it would be a great opportunity to get some sparks flying, if you know what I mean.

So after school today, I saw Tyrone waiting for the train. Our train, that is. (*She creepily smiles) So I inspected myself to make sure I looked good. I thought:

Hair down. Check.

Clothes fixed. Check.

Lip gloss on. Check.

Okay. Then I was ready to walk over there.

So went, but I was so nervous. I food that was in my stomach, was  about to come back up outta my mouth. But I sucked it up like a man. For the man, or boy, I loved.

So I was like, “Hey don’t I know you from school?”

And he was like, “Yeah.”

I acted like I didn’t know his name, so I said, “You’re...um...you’re...um...um, Tyrone, right?” I didn’t wanna be no pushover.

So he said, “Yeah, we in ‘da same English class. Don’t you remember me? You always sittin’ behind me.”

I lied and was like, “Oh yeah. I remember you now.”

And then I said, “Well my name’s Roneay, just in case you didn’t know.”

He was all cool, nonchalant about it and said, “Yeah I know. And I’m Tyrone, just incase you didn’t know.”

My heart almost popped out of my chest. He knew my name!

So until our train came, we just talked. He was telling me ‘bout himself and stuff like dat, and the whole time I was tryna look cute and all, and be a little flirtatious. And he was kinda flirting back with me. So I knew he had to be checking me out.

Then our train came, and we got on, and I sat next to him. Now, I tried to sit a little bit closer than just next to him, if you know what I mean. And he seemed okay with it. But then somebody called his phone, so he moved over to answer it. He was talking about himself being on the train, and then he said he should meet up with whoever was on the other line. I was kinda of curious to know who that person was. But I didn’t say anything because I didn’t wanna seem too nosy. So I just let it slide.

Like five minutes went by on the train. And then, Tyrone just starts smiling outta nowhere. Now I thought he was smiling at me, because he liked me or something. But oh no he wasn’t! (*She yells) He was smiling at some girl. Some ugly behind girl! She came over and said, “Hi.” How dare she have the audacity to say hi to me. But I just said hi back. And then she just squeezed right in between us.

Now I was ‘bout to smack this girl! I couldn’t believe it! Then Tyrone was like, “Roneay this is Sarah. My new girlfriend.”

Instantly, I felt like the world was falling down on me. I thought he liked me. But no! He’s sitting ‘round going out with ‘dis piece of trash, like Sarah, when he coulda had me! And her name was Sarah. How dare she have the name of our future daughter! So I just stayed calm and was like, “Oh hi, sarah.” Then I said I had to go.

I got off the train, even though it wasn’t my stop. And I just sat on the bench and cried, and cried, and cried until the next train came.