Singapore Fried Vermicelli Recipe

Ellen To - Food Slide
Ellen To - Food Slide

Ingredients:

1/2 of a pound of dried rice vermicelli

16 large shrimp

2 cup of Chinese bbq pork (Char Siu)

1 cup of chicken breast.

2 large eggs

1 large yellow onion

6 cloves garlic

1 1/2 handful of bean sprouts

1 stalk green onions

3 tbsp of mild yellow curry powder

1 slice of fresh ginger

1 tbsp toasted sesame oil

1 tsp garlic chili sauce or grounded red chili peppers

2 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp oyster sauce

3 tbsp vegetable oil

1 tsp granulated white sugar

salt

Directions:

Vegetables:

Finely chop the green onions into long pieces.

Thinly slice the ginger.

Thinly slice the yellow onion.

Mince garlic.

Poultry/Seafood:

Peel and devein the shrimp.

Add salt to shrimp.

Then set aside.

Slice the chicken into small pieces.

Add salt to chicken.

Then set aside.

Lightly beat the eggs.

Then set aside.

Slice the Chinese BBQ pork (Char Siu) into very thin strips.

Put the Chinese BBQ pork (Char Siu) in a bowl.  

Then set aside.

Noodle Prepping:

Boil water.

In a larger bowl, add boiling water to the noodles until they are fully submersed. It should take about ten minutes for them to soften.

Then drain and set aside. 

Sauce:

In a small bowl, mix together the curry powder and sesame oil until it turns into a paste.

Then add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili paste, and sugar to the paste.

Then set aside. 

Wok-ing It:

Heat up the wok on high until it is hot.

Add the oil and coat the whole surface of the wok.

Add the shrimp to the heated wok and cook until it is pink on both sides. Don’t over cook it.

Add the chicken to the heated wok until cooked. Don’t over cook it.

Remove the shrimp and chicken or push the shrimp and chicken to one side of the wok.

Add the eggs and a pinch of salt to the bottom of the wok.

After the eggs are cooked, break them up into pieces with the spatula.

Push the eggs aside with the shrimp.

Add the ginger and the onions to the wok.

Add the garlic and the sauce to the wok. 

Mix everything together until everything is heated.

Add the Chinese BBD pork and the noodles.

Stir the ingredients until everything is cooked together. 

Add the bean sprouts and green onions.

Give it a few stirs and enjoy!

--- Last minute things:

Add salt if needed.

Analysis:

Processed:

1/2 of a pound of dried rice vermicelli

3 tbsp of mild yellow curry powder

1 tbsp toasted sesame oil

1 tsp granulated white sugar

2 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp oyster sauce

3 tbsp vegetable oil

salt

Whole Food:

16 large shrimp

2 cup of Chinese bbq pork (Char Siu)

1 cup of chicken breast.

1 large yellow onion

2 large eggs

6 cloves garlic

1 1/2 handful of bean sprouts

1 stalk green onions

1 slice of fresh ginger

I think that most of the ingredients came from Taiwan, Japan, Korea, the United States of America, and Hong Kong. The dried rice vermicelli traveled the farthest distance coming from Korea. The whole foods, sauces, spices are from the United States of America. All of the vegetables and meat were commercially grown.

Some social ramifications are focused around what we have learned about purchasing food items from certain Asian countries. My family member and I don’t buy anything that is a product of China or Hong Kong because their regulations are horrible and they are always having recalled items that are shipped to the United States of America but the recalled items are not announced. The recalled items are usually recalled on the Chinese broad casting channels but a lot of people in the United States of America don’t speak Cantonese or Mandarin.

My family is extremely lucky to have such a huge garden back yard in such a busy city. We grow pears, blue berries, raspberries, strawberries, chili peppers that range on every level of spicy, green onions, string beans, a wide variety Asian herbs, tomatoes, and bitter melon. When comparing the green onions from my garden to something that is commercially grown, we grow everything organically, with out any added chemicals. A commercially grown green onion is treated with a variety of herbicides and pesticides along with added nitrogen levels to the soil.

As for chili peppers, my families just grows them in direct sunlight and water them in the early morning and at night. When looking at the commercially grown chili pepper, chili peppers are grown in argo-ecosystems. To keep away cutworms, aphids, white flies, flower thrips, mites, and pepper weevils, the plants are spray with a chemical pesticide when the flowers start to bloom.

Overall, the meal costs about $15 and the companies and farmers profited from the food purchases. 

This unit has opened my eyes to both the smaller scale and bigger scale of our food system. When looking at the small scale of our food system, I have learned what to keep away from in a supermarket and how to navigate the supermarket. I have also learned to eat healthier and to look at the ingredients going into my food instead of just the name brand labels. Before this project, I would go out and buy the generic brand name items.  I am now I am more cautious and open to new things. I also avoid eating out and try to help my family eat healthier. I am

On a larger scale, I have learned that this country is so far into debt, not only the government but also the farmers, which makes it a to harder for a change in the right direction. When we watch parts of Food Inc, I saw that all of the larger brand names were taking advantage of consumers and farmers because of their financial situations. I also saw the unnecessary cruelty that the animals were put through. I think that the animals should be treated right and provided with a healthy and better life compared to what they are provided now. I have also learned that eating healthier is not always the easiest lifestyle for a typical family due to the expense they would they would have to pay and go to for healthier and organic whole foods.