Symone's Negative Space Drawings

​Negative space, in art, is space where other things aren't "present", as in, you can't see it. I found negative space in my cut out by tracing the original drawing, and cutting those pieces out. When gluing, I found out that every piece had a meaning to it. When I cut out one thing, the "extra" was actually a piece that showed negative space. When I glued it on, the blank space created a shape that made sense to show my picture as a fully grown tree. I also found negative space in my stool drawing by shading in areas that where in between the object. For example, in a stool, there are empty spaces that sort of have no meaning. I shaded in those areas to create and demonstrate negative space in the set up. 
It helps an artist to see negative space because the space that's around the object they're drawing or in between are just as important as whatever they're drawing. Artist love details, and negative space sometimes brings those details to light, and adds character to the drawing. Without negative space, the drawing, painting, whatever, may not make sense. 
I think that negative space does enhance drawings to a certain extent. Negative space enriches the drawing, and creates a better understanding of it. Say if someone is doing a drawing on a lamp, for example. The person may not be focused on the shape of the lamp as much as everything else, like size and color. When you do a negative space drawing of the lamp, the shape of it is more visible. 
20120427_114106
20120427_114106
20120501_083626
20120501_083626