Teige Dougherty & Anthony Buchanico's "Electric" Guitar

We chose to use a guitar for many reasons. One reason is that we are both musically inclined and have been for most of our lives. For many musicians music actually lights up when they hear and play it. When we see the guitar and we play it, it is very similar to electricity. We are the power source that lights up the music coming out our own instrument. The light is a metaphor for the feeling we get from interacting with our instruments. It starts to become part of you and you can’t shake it no matter how hard you try. So we decided to turn metaphorical lighting into a literal expression with this guitar! With each fret pressed down with an inlay on it, a light shines to show that metaphorical light that we see as musicians. This Acoustic guitar is now a glimmering "electric" guitar.

Jalisa Smith (Student 2014)
Jalisa Smith

I really love your project because my project was also based upon music and the large impact it has on my life. I love the fact that the switch is basically turned on every time you play a not on the guitar.

Michael Roth (Student 2014)
Michael Roth

This project does turn music "lighting up" metaphorically into music lighting up physically. I like that it also relates to synesthesia, almost as though it gives everybody the ability to see what sounds look like.