The Car Ride

(5 people sitting in the car. In the back it is Nora in the middle and her brother and sister on wither side with her dad driving and her step mom next to him. Nora is hungover. They are all on their way to Thanksgiving dinner.)

My father is lecturing my brother about decision making. He keeps using me as an example of good decision making. I went to a party last night and got super wasted. My dad picked me up and I probably did the smartest thing ever, I told him that everybody there was smoking and drinking and that I thought they were all really stupid for doing that. Of course after that he never for a second thought that I would be doing that stuff, I mean why would he. When I got home he told my brother how proud of me he was, and that he should use me as an example of what not to do, I think my brother saw right through the lies. My brother keeps shooting me looks like “thanks a lot, you went out and got wasted and I’m paying for it”. I feel a little bad, I didn’t mean for my brother to get lectured, but what can I say? I had to do what I had to do, I couldn’t get caught. My parents would never let me out of the house again. The way I think about it, I did what had to be done.

The problem here isn’t actually me getting my brother in trouble, but the fact that my head is pounding, my eyes can’ts stay open and I think I might be dying. Oh god I’m dying. (sigh) Okay well maybe not dying, but I honestly don’t know how I’m going to get through this.

Now my dad is yelling at my brother for God only knows what and why my sister is talking to herself. She’s mumbling things that nobody can hear. Why does she always do this? Or a better question, what the hell is she doing? God, she is so annoying sometimes. Why can’t she just be normal? She’s always off in her own world. I feel like when I was her age I was sooo much more mature. She might be the baby of this family, but that doesn’t mean she can be a baby her entire life. She looks “speecciall”, if you know what I mean. She looks like she belongs in a “speecciall” house. Why does anyone… Oh god all this thinking is making my head hurt.

“Hey Dad, are we almost there?”

Of course I get no response. Why would you ever think of responding? That’s like a foreign idea to him. Whatever. I don’t even care. I just want to be there. Why aren’t we there yet? Wait, maybe we are this looks familiar… wait no it doesn’t its just more dead corn fields. I want to be there. I want this day to be over. Wait what? No I don’t, Aunt Madge makes the best mashed potatoes ever. Ugh I love mashed potatoes! I love them almost yellow and creamy. Oh my god and apple pie! So much deliciousness. I love Thanksgiving. I need Thanksgiving. Where are weeee? I want to be there already. Hey it’s quiet. Why is it quiet? Oh wait. We’re here!!!