Alexis Babcock Capstone

Digitalized Capstone: http://babcockcapstone.weebly.com/

Mentor: Mr. Herman (Digital Photography and Digital Video Teacher)

Summary: My capstone is a journey to discover what a “Lexy Babcock” looks like through analyzing different genres and elements of famous photographers. 

Abstract: The idea derived from my love of photography. After seeing a project last year that related to photos of Philadelphia, the wheels started churning. I knew that I wanted to work with photography for my capstone. I first played around with the idea of creating sculptures made of photographs that I took, which turned into a photo-gallery event. That became the goal: presenting myself in a photo-gallery night. When I finally was able to let go of my focus on the final product, I started to focus on myself and photography. I decided that I was going to figure out what a “Lexy Babcock” photograph looks like. I researched photographers that I admire in various genres of photography. I decided that I would look into elements they use and in a way mimic them. I’ve struggled with equipment, finding models, securing locations, etc. The challenges I’ve faced that made the process worthwhile. The photographs that I took will be in a photo-gallery event on June 6th.

Bibliography: 

Source 1: Alessio Bolzoni

Bolzoni, Alessio. N.d. Photograph. Alessio Bolzoni Web. 30 Jan 2014. <http://www.alessiobolzoni.com/>.

When I was looking into editorial work, I came across Alessio Bolzoni. I picked him out as someone to be inspired by because of the way his models are. He’s known for putting his subjects in weird, structured poses and sometimes creating patterns out of models. I’d like to try this because it’s completely different than the other candid, natural photographs I’m also going for. 

Source 2: Alfred Eisenstaedt’s work & bio

Eisenstaedt, Alfred. VJ Day, The Kiss. 1945. Photograph. Life, New York. Web. 30 Jan 2014. <http://life.time.com/alfred-eisenstaedt/>.

When studying photographers, I had to include Alfred Eisenstaedt. He’s famous for his candid photos, most specifically “VJ Day, The Kiss.” Everyone has seen this photo. I want to be able to catch moments like he did. Moments that everyone can appreciate. I’m hoping that as I continue to study him and his work, I will be able to find a way to catch these moments without interrupting my subject. People tend to be different with a camera around so I’m using his secrecy as an element that I want to mimic.

Source 3: Exit Through the Gift Shop Documentary

Exit Through the Gift Shop. Paranoid Productions, 2010. Film. 30 Jan 2014. <http://www.banksyfilm.com/index.html>.

I chose Exit Through the Gift Shop to put on my bibliography because it goes along with me finding my niche and my brand. Banksy, an infamous graffiti artist. He has a clear style, an anonymous outspoken street artist. His work is consistent and it’s something that I can look to for inspiration. I’m hoping that after seeing this documentary, I’ll notice a pattern in my work.

Source 4: David LaChapelle: Heaven To Hell (GO)- David LaChapelle

LaChapelle, David. David LaChapelle: Heaven To Hell (GO). Cologne: Taschen America, LLC, 2010. Print.

I’ve chosen to look at LaChapelle’s work because he is currently one of the best photographers. He uses a unique theme in every one of his photoshoots. Many people want them to shoot him because he’s so over-the-top. His avant-garde, colorful style is what draws me to his photos. He likes to push boundaries and take risks. I’m going to mimic his use of Color Saturation and Avantgarde style for a photoshoot. My photoshoot is going to contain people looking as if they’re in space with funky colored clothes and over the top makeup and hairstyles.

Source 5: Peter Lik’s personal website that contains his work

Lik, Peter, and . N.d. Photograph. Peter LikWeb. 30 Jan 2014. <http://www.lik.com/>.

Peter Lik has absolutely beautiful landscape photos. From the beach, to forests, they are all colorful and leave you feeling like you’re there. Many of his photos are perfectly centered and structured. Most of his photos are cut to look extremely wide, and without a lot of length. This idea helps guide the eye. I’m going to take up this idea, but add my spin of an urban environment. I want to achieve that natural beauty and color where it’s unlikely to see it.

Source 6: Terry Richardson: Terrywood- Terry Richardson

Richardson, Terry. Terry Richardson: Terrywood. Bologna: Damiani Editore, 2012. Print.

Like David LaChapelle, Terry Richardson is also a very desired photographer. He shoots all of the stars. What I love about him is that there is a very distinct style that he has. I admire his consistency. I want to study his photography to possibly discover what my person niche is. His photos tend to be very raw. His models, no matter who they are, look completely in their element. Bringing out natural emotion is something I’m hoping to do when I practice portraiture. He also tends to use a plain white background. It allows the person looking at the picture to focus on the person, less than everything else. Although his photos aren’t always up-close and personal, there’s a very intimate feel and everything is always well lit. Nothing’s hidden or left to figure out. I’m going to use this idea of blunt portraits. 

Source 7: Tips and Advice for new Photographers

Rowse, Darren. "11 Tips for Beginner Photographers."Digital Photography School. N.p.. Web. 31 Jan 2014. <http://digital-photography-school.com/11-tips-for-beginner-photographers>.

I cited this source because it’s important for any type of photo. It’s a list of tips and tricks for people who have little experience in photography. It’s important for me to remember these because they will help my different photoshoots. It will help me keep from forgetting important elements such as: clothing, lights, other equipment, people, or a product. I picked this website over a few others I saw because I felt like it was more useful than others. This one talks about basic necessities. Some other sources were too detailed and overwhelming. This is the only helpful one. 

Source 8: Cindy Sherman’s Cindy Sherman: The Early Works

Sherman, Cindy, and Gabriele Schor. Cindy Sherman: The Early Works: Catalogue Raisonné, 1975-1977. Ostfildern: Hatje Cantz Verlag, 2012. Print.

Cindy Sherman is easily the coolest photographer I’ve ever studied. All of her photos contain the same model, herself. She puts herself in all of these crazy costumes and becomes millions of characters. The idea of self portraiture is scary unless it’s a selfie. By studying her work, I want to develop a set of photos of myself dressed and posing as multiple different characters. I think this photoshoot and studying her will help me to put myself in the place of my models. I’ll be able to understand what they’re feeling and how to make my photographs and connections with people better.

Source 9: The Wade Brother’s website containing all of their work

Wade, Lyndon, and WadeDavid Lindsey Wade. N.d. Photograph. The Wade BrothersWeb. 28 Jan 2014. <http://thewadebrothers.com/>.

After checking out the Wade Brother’s website, I noticed they had a variety of work. They worked with many different companies to do their ads and commericials. I was going to use them to study editorial; commercial things, but I came accross one of their personal projects. It was called “The Birds,” which I soon figured out was designed with Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds in mind. Their version is very dramatic and creepy, but it’s very original. I’m going to use their use of mimicry by showing my perspective on Disney Princess’ storylines. They also use pops of color in their very dark and creepy photos. I might take up this idea and make it my own. 

Source 10: 30 Pictures from the past

Wain, Alex. "30 Unique And Must-See Photos From Our Past." So Bad, So Good. N.p., 30 May 2013. Web. 30 Jan 2014. <http://sobadsogood.com/2013/05/30/30-unique-and-compelling-photos-from-our-past/>.

All of the photos on this blog post are from important moments in history that were captured in photographs. I’m looking at them for inspiration for a photoshoot. I want to do something with a black and white, vintage style. These photos are candids also so I’m hoping to incorporate that also. I’m thinking about mimicing the idea of famous photographic memories and create my own memories in history with sets that I create.