Alexis Dean Capstone

The purpose of a capstone is to demonstrate the learning and experiences we have had during the duration of our high school careers as well as being a student at SLA.  In my capstone I wanted to incorporate everything that I learned to form something that I could be proud to leave behind as my legacy. I wanted it to demonstate who I was and what I have learned. Which has lead me to the idea of something that has been a huge part of my life, fundraising for a cause very near to my heart. I have been walking in honor of my grandmother and the Alzheimer's Association for nine years. This was the perfect topic for my capstone. This was my chance to teach many about something that is so swept under the rug. Not many people know what Alzheimer's is or how many people it really effects. The school setting allowed for me to share my knowledge and use it as the foreground for my fundraising. I went on to create my team and raise a grand total of $1,000.00 for future research. This project has allowed me to learn more than I already knew and taught me to be a better person. It taught me how to become an advocate, how to be a team leader, how to keep people motivated, raise awareness, keep a clear plan and how to be financially responsible. I have also taken photos and created a website to showcase all the work I have done this year. 
                                             Annotated Bibliography

7 Stages of Alzheimer's & Symptoms | Alzheimer's Association. (n.d.). Retrieved January 29, 2015, from http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_stages_of_alzheimers.asp

This source provides a background to the seven stages of Alzheimer’s disease. I selected this source because it allows people to be able to notice and diagnose onset symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease so that they can get help if any of these symptoms are present in them or their family members. I found this source useful because when creating my pamphlet about Alzheimer’s I used these stages to make people aware of what the major stages and symptoms are and when to be able to seek help.

Alzheimer's Disease Fact Sheet. (n.d.). Retrieved January 29, 2015, from http://www.nia.nih.gov/ alzheimers/publication/alzheimers-disease-fact-sheet

This source provides basic information about Alzheimer’s disease. I selected this source because in the early stages of research you need a basic background to be able to better explain what you are working towards and why and be prepared to answer as many questions as possible. I found this source useful because it gave me answers to the general questions that people ask everyday with quick and short answers for them. One limitation was that it was only facts, no deeper research. Due to that limitation I had to further my research into the disease itself so that I am more aware of just exactly what happens and what causes it.

Frequently Asked Questions. (n.d.). Retrieved January 26, 2015, from http:// www.brightfocus.org/alzheimers/questions/frequentlyasked.html

This source provides answers to frequently asked questions about Alzheimer’s Disease. I selected this source because it went along with the previous fact sheet source listed above, I selected it because it crosschecked information and allowed me to become more of an expert in the topic of Alzheimer’s disease and be able to teach other about it during my capstone. I found this source useful because it contained more information that went along with the other information listed above and allowed me to become more of an expert. One limitation I found was the source wasn’t that detailed and I found it to be extremely short.

Latest Medication for Memory Loss | Alzheimer's Association. (n.d.). Retrieved January 29, 2015, from http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_standard_prescriptions.asp

This source provides an insight into the latest medications to treat memory loss caused by Alzheimer’s Disease. I selected this source because I wanted to know what was being done currently to treat the one main symptom of Alzheimer’s Disease which was memory loss. I wanted to be able to know a little bit more about what the money being raised goes towards and

what walking for the cure actually does. I found this source useful because it allowed me to really see what I am walking for each year and what all current donations go to and how people with Alzheimer’s are being treated to fight this nasty disease.

(n.d.). Retrieved January 03, 2015, from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/159442.php

This source provides the medical details behind just exactly what Alzheimer’s Disease is and what it causes later on in life and what it causes. I selected this source mainly for background research purposes. I needed to be able to have options and I felt the only way that that would happen would be to find as many options and sources as possible. I found this source useful because this allowed me to be an expert and I like that. One limitation that I found was that I have multiple background information sources and they can be a bit drawn out.

Mace, N., & Rabins, P. (1999). The 36-hour day: A family guide to caring for persons with Alzheimer disease, related dementing illnesses, and memory loss in later life (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.

This source is the perfect guide for families caring for someone with Alzheimer’s Disease. It is a how to book that gives you detail by detail about what is going to happen to your loved one during their time with Alzheimer’s, memory loss, illnesses that come dementia and ways to cope and help your loved ones through this tough time and help give you tips as the caretaker in how to help them and how to remain sane throughout it all.

Shua-Haim, J., & Ross, J. (n.d.). Alzheimer's Syndrome and not Alzheimer's disease: The historical struggle to define the disease. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias, 92-95.

This source is a journal debate that begins to talk about why Alzheimer’s Disease should be labeled a Syndrome and not a Disease and the great struggle in trying to name and define the disease. I have found this source incredibly resourceful because this has become an eye opener for me because I feel as though it should be a syndrome because I feel like disease generally turns people in a negative connotation towards it and I feel like that always isn't a good thing. One limitation of this source that I found was that I think a lot of these arguments are invalid.

Take Action | Alzheimer's Association. (n.d.). Retrieved January 13, 2015, from http://alz.org/ advocacy/take-action.asp

This source is how to take action against Alzheimer’s Disease and how to become an advocate. I selected this source because I have recently become an advocate for the Alzheimer’s Association. It is a very simple process and therefore many people should just fill out the simple form and become an advocate. I found this source useful because I feel like it was simple and that this is a good thing to place in my capstone presentation for those who may not have known about it already.

Wandering and Dementia | Caregiver Center | Alzheimer's Association. (n.d.). Retrieved January 29, 2015, from http://www.alz.org/care/alzheimers-dementia-wandering.asp

This source is about one of the main things that comes along with Alzheimer’s Disease, which is wandering. I selected this source because I wanted to show the negative things that happen due to Alzheimer’s. I wanted other people to know what happens when there are not a great deal of care available and when medicines aren't readily available either. Wandering leads to many disappearances and many loved ones are put at risk. With the lack of memory and wandering. It is not a good combination and therefore that is why I chose this link because this needs to be prevented.

What Is Dementia? (n.d.). Retrieved January 23, 2015, from http://www.alz.org/what-is- dementia.asp

This source is teaching about what dementia is and the ability to be able to identify what dementia is and how to cope with it. Many people are unaware of the causes and treatments of dementia and they need to be able to understand it to the fullest. The reason I selected this source is for the ability to raise awareness during my project than any other reasoning. It is hard for me to do a project like this, considering my loss however I need this to become an issue that is readily available for p-people to understand. The only limitation I have with this source is the fact that there isn't any thing that would lead to the possible prevention, however I feel like this could lead to many things.

Williams, J. (n.d.). Role of The Immune System and Inflammatory Response In The Aetiology of Alzheimer's Disease. Alzheimer's & Dementia, S285-S285.

This source is about the way that your immune system reacts when Alzheimer’s Disease is present. I selected this source again for the ability to be more aware about what goes on inside your body during the time when Alzheimer’s Disease is present and I feel like that is incredibly important and is something that everyone should be aware of because I feel like this is an incredible change in your body whether it is for the good or for the bad and I selected this source because it talks about the role of Alzheimer’s in your body and is just another piece of the puzzle to be completed with further research.