Cashier, Where's My Change?

Changes occurs throughout our lives. There are some we are able to recognize and there are some we cannot see with the naked eye. An individual can play many roles when it comes to creating and sustaining change. By being an activist for a cause, an individual can bring about many changes; big or small . Becoming a role model for others who want to create change or just coming out of the blue to solve an injustice could account also as a step for change. All it takes for change to happen is for an individual to take that first step, say that first word, make an effort in standing up to an injustice and changes will gradually start to occur.

Nelson Mandela is one of many individuals who stood up for what he believed in.

Not only did he stand up for what he believed in, he in fact became a leader to his cause and the many who looked up to him. This leadership aspect-the ability to focus on your goals even at times you are put in the face of danger- was very important to his perception of freeing South Africa from apartheid. He believed it was his destiny to solve this injustice no matter what the consequences were to be. He stated in his autobiography, “As a leader, I have always followed the principles I first saw demonstrated by the regent at the Great Palace. I have always endeavored to listen to what each and every person in a discussion had to say before venturing my own opinion. Oftentimes, my own opinion will simply represent a consensus of what I heard in the discussion. I always remember the regent's axiom: a leader, he said, is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realizing that all along they are being directed from behind.”

Creating change is all about  and perseverance and determination. Sacrifices may come at times but it’s all about taking chances and standing for what you believe in.

Mandela had to sacrifice the well being of his family to establish change. He was unable to  be a part of many family gatherings. He was not there to see his children grow up. He was not even able to attend the funerals of his oldest son or mother, both of whom died while he was still in prison. His family had to share him with the world.This was a sacrifice he was willing to make. Mandela stated in an interview, “ I had no epiphany, no singular revelation, no moment of truth, but a steady accumulation of a thousand slights, a thousand indignities, a thousand unremembered moments, produced in me an anger, a rebelliousness, a desire to fight the system which imprisoned my people. There was no particular day on which I said, From henceforth I will devote myself to the liberation of my people; instead, I simply found myself doing so, and could not do otherwise.” He believed his struggle was not for himself but in fact for his people; for his nation.

Most changes don’t happen overnight. Sometimes it takes extreme dedication before  you can even see a speck of success. You just need to be motivated to your cause and always keep your eyes on the prize. And remember “everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.”

Sources: 
"7 Ways Nelson Mandela Changed South Africa." NBC News. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Mar. 2014.
"PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 23 Mar. 2014."
"10. Realizing the Importance of Courting the Youth Vote." Complex.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.