Climate Change Monologue: Reily Knott

During this unit we as a class have studied climate change and how that effects our lives as we know it. for example in my partners monologues we touched on topics as forest fires, clean air as a broad topic. To be more specific here are details about what exactly climate change is and what causes it. In most cases we see that its caused by human influence such as the exhaust from our cars release chemicals into the air. I mean something as simple as cutting down tress which release CO2 in the air. Greenhouse gasses are used to run o many things and is released by so many things but in reality is killing the earth. These all contribute to the loss of out natural sources and the loss of homes for many animals.

Clean Air

(walking to school)

As i walk to school in the morning sometimes i  look up at the sky and see the dark muted grays that have taken  over the once blue beautiful skies and the humid weather in october. And i wonder why nobody ever taught me about my effect on the environment. California used to be a great place man i mean besides the fact the all the ice cream places are now juice bars, but thats besides the point. Suddenly a big group of people come walking past me. Oh and by the way i'm not very popular so… *eyes rolling and shoulders shrugging*  its a rare occasion that multiple people come to me. Hey give me my paper back i need that for science. I assuming none of these kids had a idea that this paper on climate change could affect my grade in a good way or….a very bad way. HEY HEY i need that paper. C'mon guys. On wait you just didn't do you paper…. You could've just asked I would've help. Look nobody really understands the damage climate change can do to our everyday life. *everybody around takes about paper* Okay so let me break this down for you nice and slow. Climate change is caused by many things. Water vapor most know as greenhouse gasses this increases as the Earth's atmosphere gets warmer, and so the the possibility of rain, clouds and participation. Carbon dioxide this is let into the atmosphere by natural causes such as cutting down trees and all that natural stuff. *takes a deep breath* Are you guys getting any of this? Okay….I’ll take that And you know when you're too lazy walk to school or wherever you go. Your parents drive…. Yeah well just let them know they’re killing the earth. But actually i just remembered why am i even helping you guys... You tried to shove me in a locker yesterday. GIVE ME MY PAPER, your own your own now..

WILDFIRE

Hello everyone thank you for letting me come to career day, So my name is Robert Vick and I am a firefighter here in Colorado. So one issue that we firefighters face that the world is not really aware of is Wildfires.. Does anyone know what that is?...... A wildfire is an uncontrolled fire occurring in wildland areas, which can  consume houses. Wildfires often begin unnoticed, but they spread quickly igniting brush, trees and homes. And its very hard to put the fire out, once one it started it spreads through the woods very quickly… and its not safe to be around, not safe to breath and causes a of smoke. Everyone thinks that most wildfires are started by humans but really its caused by global warming… yup shocking right?... who knew that already?......hmmm okay so ¼ out of the class knew..And its only going to get worse…  climate change and other pressures are causing more intensified firestorms, sparking more damage and putting wildlife more at risk… so does anyone have any questions so far?.... yes you in the green shirt?....... How else does wildfires affect us?.. Well it  contributes carbon to the atmosphere. As this cycle progresses, climate change and wildfires both increase in frequency and severity…. Anyone else? Yes you in the pink flower hat……………. Im sorry i couldn't hear you, can you repeat that? Oh, how could you help prevent it?.. Okay well you guys can Ride bikes to school, walk, recycle, offset your carbon purchase, and plant trees. Thank you all for being a good audience, Hope you have a great school year.  See you soon, hopefully not because of a fire…...

FLOOD:

wow its so gloomy outside?.... this better not mess up my date with johnny….. okay blue or the red dress…. *BANG* what the h…….. AHHHHHHHHH HELP… Where is all this water coming from…. Sh** its coming up the steps…. omg omg omg what should I do? Climb out the window! … the water is coming in fast. it stinks so bad…. god damit why won't this window open!!! HELP SOMEONE HELP…. finally this thing opens.  Holy crap I can’t see the street, its flooded, this whole town is flooded…. the water is still rising. I have to get to higher ground?.... The roof! Okay don’t look down… you got this kelly, don’t look down…….. okay breath you won’t fall….. yes I made it……. omg… look at this town… its completely covered…. *cries* oom-g i’m gonna die, noooooooooo…… HELP ME SOMEONE HELP ME…….. hello? did someone just call me?... HELLO?.. HELLO…….. OMG JOHNNY WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!!! Are you okay? I should have listen to professor Gerry….. What?... yes my professor was telling us how Global warming is partly to blame for  heavy rainfall events and floods. Because warmer air can hold more moisture, heavier precipitation is expected in the years to come. But i thought he was just crazy… i don’t know it was early in the morning when he said this.. what else did he say? well he said As the climate system changes in accordance to more CO2 we realise that by polluting our atmosphere we literally pull the carpet under our own feet….. i dont know.. so what do we do…. WATCH OUT FOR THE BRANCH… AHHHHHH.  *slash noise* ewww this water is dirty… johnny where are you? JOHNNY… swim towards me I see you!! I need help I can’t swim….. help me up.. thanks. are you sure I think there is more room on the door that I’m floating on?... okay.. how can we prevent this from happening again? ummm well my professor said that   Important steps include discouraging development in flood-prone areas and protecting the natural systems, such as wetlands, that help to buffer against floods…. yup…… do you hear that? Its a person?... OMG johnny look its help!.. Johnny? No johnny no wake up no JOHNNY (Titanic song plays). NOOOOOOO…. HELP OVER HERE!!!