Creating Change - Blog #3

Hello, again! My name is Talya Laver and I am a freshman at Science Leadership Academy. In my english class, we have been continuing our work on our You and The World projects. The topic I have been working with throughout the year has been Leukemia, a type of blood cancer. In my first blog post, I worked to educate people on what Leukemia is and different treatment options. If you would like a refresher, take a look! In my second blog post, I conducted original research to see how well known it is and how knowledgeable people are compared to other types of cancer. I did this in the form of a survey which was sent out to a wide range of people. If you would like to take part in the survey or view the questions, click here. The last leg of the project, has been to take action and effect change.

When deciding what I was going to do for the agent of change aspect of this project, I decided that I was not going to limit myself to only taking action in regards to Leukemia. All types of cancer are terrible and they all need money for research and support for their victims. I also wanted to do something that was meaningful and relevant to me and my life. They way I choose to effect change was by taking part in an event called Yoga on the Steps. Taking part in walks or collecting money are not things that I am very interested in and to make the most change, I felt that I have to be fully invested and engaged. What drew me towards Yoga on the Steps was the fact that it focuses not only on creating change around breast cancer, but also furthers the idea of healthy living and a better quality of life in general.

People participating in Yoga on the Steps 2014

In addition to participating in Yoga on the Steps, I recruited others to participate and raised money. In my household, we raised $250 contributing to our larger team which raised $11,417. The overall event raised $275,670 this year. The money raised goes to an organization called Living Beyond Breast Cancer (LBBC). LBBC is an organization that offers education and support to women who have been diagnosed, or are living with, breast cancer and their families. Their main fundraising event, Yoga on the Steps, is an hour-long yoga class designed to promote and create awareness around healthy living and better quality of life.

Myself and Gabby Cromley at Yoga on the Steps

Although, much has been and is being done, there is still tons to do until we live in a cancer-free society. There are many ways to help that dream become a reality. Donating towards research to find a cure is a great way. The American Cancer Society is a great place to donate, though there are many great organizations to donate to as well. Another way is to get involved in an event like the Race for the Cure and Yoga on the Steps, to name a few. Additionally, supporting people through their own battles with cancer and being source of comfort is an act like no other.

This project has been an eye-opening experience. Being able to follow an issue throughout the year then having the opportunity to go out and make change, is quite a special journey. Cancer, specifically Leukemia, has been something that has touched my family very deeply. It has pushed me to think in ways I don’t normally have to for project, from conducting original research to figuring out how to be an Agent of Change. I hope that I have made a difference and that I will continue to make a difference until we no longer need to worry about cancer.