2fer Revision

Joseff Filamor

There has been an ongoing conflict over the banning of marijuana but the majority of people seems to be concerned over the fact that cigarettes are still legal. Understanding that marijuana gets people high and there is still a debate over if it should be legalized. With alcohol it is used for celebration and other activities, but the common message towards alcohol is to not abuse it and the same goes for marijuana. There is not a legitimate reason as to why the tobacco companies are not shut down. Smoking is just as bad as any other drug and does not do any good.  Cigarettes are not illegal because of their successful marketing.

It is one of the most addictive substances that it is on the same ranking of heroin. It is so addictive it makes smokers unpaid tobacco spokespersons for tobacco companies. According to truth.com - a website/organization focused on ending ciggerette smokers - runs commercials on mtv often. The website focuses on celebrities smoking and how it does nothing but help the tobacco companies. It also gives facts about the tobacco industries such as;  “On their websites, tobacco companies encourage people to quit smoking. However, in 2006, a court found that tobacco companies manipulate nicotine levels to keep smokers addicted. The tobacco industry spends more than $24 million each day marketing its products in the U.S. alone.” In March of 2006, tobbacofreekids.org had a press release on their website concerning the tobacco industries trying to shut down truth.com.  “The real reason the tobacco companies are so anxious to destroy Legacy's effective and hard-hitting truth® advertising campaign is because these ads keep kids from smoking by telling them the truth about how the tobacco industry has targeted them and deceived them about the harm caused by tobacco use.”

The whole plot of smoking that makes the industries so effective and successful. The addictiveness of the nicotine inside the actual cigarette that keeps people going back to buy them. Along with the fact that cigarettes are being used by either celebrities and others in the media, it gives the tobacco industries even more attention and publicity. Even with the attempts to shut them down and prove the industry is corrupt, they are still not illegal because of the successful marketing to back them up. When asked, tobacco industries might say that it is the smokers fault for choosing to do so, But on closer inspection, due to their marketing of cigarettes, it's giving people more reason to smoke.

“Truth - Home." Truth - Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Sept. 2014. <http://www.thetruth.com/>

"About Smoking." Lung.org. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.lung.org/about-smoking/>.

"Tobacco Companies’ Efforts to Shut Down Truth® Anti-Smoking Ads Show They Haven’t Changed - Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids."Tobacco Companies’ Efforts to Shut Down Truth® Anti-Smoking Ads Show They Haven’t Changed - Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Sept. 2014. <http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/press_releases/post/id_0896>.

Reflection:

After opening up my first 2fer essay again, I immediately realized a lot of mistakes. Whether it was punctuation, grammar or simply just common errors, I corrected them first. I then moved on to improving my conclusion. I replaced the last few sentences with a stronger ending.