First Product: Amanda, Lexus, Kilah, Zaria, and Katherine

stats recording
In our first podcast, we covered chapters 1,2, and 3. As a group we discussed our opinions based off of what we had read, and we talked about what we had expected to read based off of the title of the book. 

Mark Miles (Teacher)
Mark Miles

When discussing chapters 3, 5, or 6, incorporate the following article into your discussion:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-lie-with-data-visualization-1563576606

Also, each member of your group should find an article online containing a misleading graph and discuss it during the podcast (be sure to talk about why it’s misleading!). Be sure to include a link to all articles in the text of your post of the podcast that corresponds to chapters 3, 5, or 6.

Mark Miles (Teacher)
Mark Miles

Good first podcast. I liked the initial discussion of your expectations for the book. I also liked Kilah's question on how relevant the numbers were (though it was not truly explored by the group). However, the group seemed very focused on the year the book came out (and the numbers used), but not on what the book was saying. I would also like to hear Amanda and Lexus more. For next time, please respond to the following prompts:

1. Choose one of the quotations inside the front cover and discuss how it relates to the Introduction.
  2. Put the second paragraph on Page 18 (“A river cannot….”) into your own words.
  3. What is the advantage of a stratified random sample and what difficulties does it pose, according to chapter 1?
  4. When we see an average reported, what do we need to ask besides which kind of average is being used? Why?
  5. Which kind of “average” (statisticians call all three “measures of central tendency”) would give me the best way to compare the performance of two classes of a required math course? Why?
  6. What does the author mean on Page 45 when he says, “Hardly anybody is exactly normal in any way…?”