"Hands Up!, Guns Downs!"

With this sustained journey in finishing up my You and the World Project, I am closing this portion of the project on what I wanted to do for my Agent of Change piece. With doing my recent blog post, I did my own research and learned things about certain parts in Philadelphia that I did not know even existed which is why in my first blog post I was just so new to the project. But from then, it’s been a whole different spin on the information I now know. With thinking about doing my Agent of Change, I wanted to find a way for people to recognize the horrifying murders in Philadelphia caused by guns. With putting a little more depth into this project, recently today there was a march on Woodcrest Avenue in Philadelphia. The people were marching and singing. They held a sign saying “Taking Action To End Gun Violence” and marched on the site where a man was gunned down and killed in a robbery.  What they wanted people to take from this march was to use the gun related murder to stop other losses. How are we as the city of Philadelphia going to stop the shootings in our very own streets? With observing all of resources and space I had, I thought that it would be helpful to make SLA aware of this serious situation. With the help of my friend Ella who has a similar project as mine, we made an infographic  to show different statistics and facts about gun violence with teens and Philadelphia. We printed about 50 posters with this reliable information and put them all around SLA.

This is a picture of one the posters on a wall placed around the school!

With making an end to this project, I have learned a lot about gun violence and all of the shootings that happen in Philadelphia. After knowing  about a situation that triggers my mind, I am happy I was able to make a small contribution to this problem. This is something that I can relate to personally and many others can too. I hope people can see and take away from this project the collective need for us to gun violence..  I hope people will stop and take the time to read the posters and be aware of what is going on in the city they live in. This is nothing to be played around with. Everyone deserves to be safe and feel comfortable in the area they live in. After doing this project, I know that I can make my voice heard and help to be one of many advocates needed to end gun violence. I would love to do more outside of this project to gain other people’s attention to go along with me to say no to guns. But overall, I was happy to do this project and what I accomplished. I think this is something that everyone that everyone can see as a problem in our city . It is my hope that we will put our hands up together on this issue so that people will put their guns down. So I close this to say, do you want to live in Philadelphia or KIlladelphia?

For my annotated bibliography, click here!