Jalisa Smith- Capstone

Jalisa Smith

Mentor (In School): Elizabeth Menasion

Mentore (Outside of School): Elizabeth Blackman

Capstone Abstract: 

Cancer Screening Rates within the Black Community: African, African-Americans, Afro-Caribbean 

The black community holds the highest cancer mortality rates even amongst major cancers. The objective of this research study is to determine if there are cancer screening disparities within the black community, using three types of cancers: Cervical, prostate and colorectal. 

Background Information: 

• Cervical Cancer: 

This cancer begins when normal cells gradually turn to precancerous cells. The exocervix has squamous cells. The endocervix has glandular cells. The part where the squamous cells and glandular cells meet is called the transformation zone. In this zone, squamous and glandular cells create precancerous cells. These precancerous cells then lead to cervical cancer. Like most cancers, cervical cancer can be detected early and prevented earlier. 

The chances of contracting cervical cancer are intensified with human papilloma virus (HPV). Young women can be vaccinated for HPV prevention at a young age and with continuous vaccinations, it reduces the risks of contracting the virus that leads to contracting pre-cancer. The vaccination however does not prevent cervical cancer so getting a regular screening is still very important. 

• Colorectal Cancer: 

This cancer begins either in the colon or the rectum,. The majority of colorectal cancers start as a polyp: a growth that begins in the inner lining of either the colon or rectum and continues toward the center. Although colorectal cancer does begin with polyps, only some polyps can become cancer, those are known as adenomas. When a polyp is taken out during its early stages, chances of a person ever getting colorectal cancer are reduced. 

• Prostate Cancer: 

Although there are other cells that become cancerous, most prostate cancers develop from gland cells. Gland cells are those that make prostate fluids that are a part of semen. Those cells that begin as gland cells are called adenocarcinomas. Prostate cancer is affcte by the size of a man’s prostate. There are plenty of reasons why one is more susceptible to contracting prostate cancer than others. This disease is very likely amongst older men and can be treated with regular check-ups. 

Bibliography: 

https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/document/d/1hR9jXqsIf1n3cLKAQ5Cq3-_PskU2yFe2pQ2XtJU0fK8/edit