Macbeth Pokemon - Ayala and Shamus

Shamus and I decided that creating an original game for our Macbeth creative project would be the best approach. We thought a play or video would be harder with only two people, and we aren’t the best actors, so we decided to cross that off the list. We didn’t want to do a playbill because we aren’t the best artists, and we didn’t think it would be that entertaining. In the end we went with a game mainly because we both like games and had an idea for designs that would work with the play’s themes and characters. We also thought it would be fun for us and for potential players.
After deciding on a game, we had to think about what the game would be about. We thought of interactive, roleplaying board games that are popular and most people might know. At first, we thought about making a Dungeons & Dragons type game, and started planning that. Then at lunch while planning, we thought it would be great to make a Pokemon type game. Because we had a decent idea of how Pokemon was played, we didn’t need to research it too much.
After Ms. Giknis approved the idea, we started thinking of characters we would make and how to present them. We had an original list of about 7 before we realized that we didn’t have some characters we met recently, or haven’t met yet, in the reading. The final product ended up having 13 cards. Once we had our characters planned, we thought about how to make the cards. We found a website where you can design your own Pokemon card, so we just had to think about the details for each card. For some characters we gave them a meaning for their type of Pokemon. For example, King Duncan would be a colorless type because he is dead and has no color in his life.
We then came up with moves, which are like actions, for each card that worked to make sure each interaction between players would end up like a scene in the book. Once we had our moves and descriptions written, we just had to add them to the actual cards. After that, we printed them out, and put them in a folder so they could all stay together.
The purpose of the project was to make a game that would be fun for the players, and at the same time could teach them about Macbeth. Since Pokemon is a very famous card game, we thought it would be a good way to teach people about Macbeth while simultaneously being fun to play. To understand the game, you don’t need to know much about Pokemon, except that it is a turn based game. To play, the players take turns fighting back and forth, until one player’s Pokemon faints. In our game, a player doesn't necessarily have to faint, but instead the round ends when the scene would. For Duncan and Banquo, they would die, and that is where the round ends. The entirety of the game would be played once we reached the end of the book.

Process Pictures:

Screenshot 2016-01-08 at 11.44.40 AM.png
Screenshot 2016-01-08 at 11.44.35 AM.png
Screenshot 2016-01-12 at 12.17.16 PM.png
Screenshot 2016-01-12 at 12.17.07 PM.png

Final Product:

Screenshot 2016-01-18 at 9.24.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2016-01-18 at 9.25.12 PM.png

William Huang (Student 2019)
William Huang

This is a really creative idea! What website/software did you use to make the cards? You guys have yet to present, but it sounds like there is a game involved. Looking forward to it!

Carolina Ortiz-Lugo (Student 2019)
Carolina Ortiz-Lugo

I have never really played with Pokemon cards but I think that making a game like this was really clever and cool. Especially because most of the games that were made were really traditional, but this was a really unique one. :)