Negative Space Reflection

A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)

Negative space is the shapes and area where there is not an object. For example, if you lay your hand on a table, the negative space would be the space in between each finger and all the table around your hand. If your hand is the positive space, the table is the negative space. 

B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your still life drawing?

1. I found negative space in my cut out drawing by finding the opposite of the positive space, and mirroring the background on one side to become the green on the other. 

2. In my still live drawing I found the negative space by changing the focus of my eyes and blurring out the positive space, to make it easier to focus on the space that was not the object. 

C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?

When an artist sees negative space, it gives them another perspective on the subject of their drawing. In addition to drawing the positive image, they draw the negative images, which increases accuracy and the complexity of the drawing and of the artists eye.

D. Does seeing in negative space enhance drawings, why or why not?

Seeing in negative space does enhance the drawing, because it adds another dimension to a piece of art. The viewer can look at the positive space, the negative space, and see all shapes and concepts instead of one concrete idea. Understanding how objects interact in a space is important to understand art and drawing and understanding the world at large.

negative with color
negative with color
negative 1
negative 1
negative 2
negative 2
negative 3
negative 3