North Korea, an International Wildcard.

North Korea, dangerous enemies of western civilization or oppressed underdogs?

Kim Jong Un, a tyrannical dictator, or just a guy with an ego problem?

What really is North Korea? Why should we be scared of this tiny country on the other side of the world? The answer is; I don't know. I do know that I want to find out more about this potential problem.

This wildcard of a country, it intrigues me. Its mysterious and powerful, or is it? I wonder about why we(America) don't just take a couple missiles and eradicate this nasty spot on the canvas of the world. The answer is simple; they hold strong economic ties. Waging war with North Korea would be waging war with China and Russia also, it would start World War Three and that simply is not an option. No one wants war especially us, as a generally ‘happy’ and peaceful country. But that is only the cover to the book of war with North Korea, within the pages we find a less obvious but almost as dangerous form of war: Cyber-Terrorism.

I am curious about how the general public views North Korea, and how much they know (if anything) about the country. With the online release of the film The Interview, (after threats from North Korea to bomb theaters that played the film) my guess is that the only information people gathered from the film was that No rth Korea was a joke and not to be taken seriously. I think people should be more informed about this country, because while small they still hold great potential danger.

After doing some research I isolated a few of the problems North Korea presents to us in the U.S.A. these include but are not limited to: They will not cooperate with our requests, including refusing to cancel their nuclear tests after being demanded too mutiple times. North Korea has also been known to throw propagandic insults at other world leaders, in this article from The Guardian, ¨North Korea called the South Korean president a “crafty prostitute” in thrall to her “pimp” Barack Obama who, in a related editorial, was called a “wicked black monkey”¨.

Not only is this country an annoyance, they seem to be telling their people how ‘evil’ freedom of speech and democracy is.

Overall I have learned that this country, while it certainly holds the potential to be dangerous, I do not think it has been so yet. I am slightly scared of this country, and worry about what the future will hold for this ticking time bomb. Until then we all appear to be safe.

Elias

My annotated bibliography lies here.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un inspecting Korean People's Army Unit 323

Amal Giknis (Teacher)
Amal Giknis

Have you read Nothing To Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea? It has rave reviews and it's been on my list for a while. It would probably inform your thinking quite a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Envy-Ordinary-Lives-North/dp/0385523912/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1430872156&sr=1-6&keywords=north+korea

Mekhi Friend (Student 2018)
Mekhi Friend

This post made me think about what would happen if we started world War three with North Korea. They have assaulted us with many cyber attacks in the past and one not to long ago. It is as if they are signaling us that they want war. With China and Russia as allies and all America's enemies what would this mean for us? I liked your reference to The Interview. This reminds me of the documentary I saw on North Korea. In future blog post I would like to see studies on North Korea's miltary

Eli Block (Student 2018)
Eli Block

I think that this was a very good post and very interesting. It made me reconsider my belief of North Korea a bit (a small unimportant, country that we should send bombs to.) One thing that stood out to me was the mentioning of the movie the Interview. I thought this was interesting because it was a very funny and silly movie and it gave North Korea a very silly view. I am looking forward to seeing what Elias will do for his Agent of change part.

Jamina Regino (Student 2018)
Jamina Regino

I actually like this idea that you generated Elias. I've done previous research on North Korea because I was also interested in the history of South Korea. Communist countries (I think) are uncommon and are viewed as hostile by the rest of the world. Connecting your research and topic with the movie "The Interview" is also a good idea because it can capture teenager's attention because, of course, it's filled with jokes yet also contains really controversial things (ie. Kim Jongun and his terroristic ideals).