Q2 Art Portfolio

Hello, My name is Mingxue Zheng and the following slide show will contain the three artwork and one photograph that I've created in the second quarter of my senior art class. Our class is divided up into three groups, passing, middle, and FAS (future art student). As a "middle" I need to complete...

1.) Art Collage (8x11") 
2.) Fabric Drawing (8x11")  
3.) Edited Photo 
4.) Illustrating a piece of writing from Children's books. 

The first artwork that I was so hyped up about is the collage. I never did a collage that needs to convey a deeper meaning before. It took me 2-3 days to formulate ideas for the collage. 

My collage should be simple and visually appealing. There should be a sharp contrast as well. So, I did a "Hot & Cold" collage with a grandma crossing between the cold and hot terrane of the collage. On the cold terrane there is a lot of black and white landscapes. To add a pop of color, I added a series of blue butterflies so it will not be overly dull. On the hot terrane, there are a lot of orange to red color schemes; making a more vibrant atmosphere. 

The most challenging art piece was to create a fabric drawing. It took me a lot time to figure out where to shade. After a bunch of diligent tries, I finally have the drawing. However, it still doesn't look like a fabric. 

The third task is to edit a photo. I chose to edit a photo of Chinatown's signature landmark because I lived there. I am very proud of that picture as a Chinese immigrant. Since, I like everything to be sharp and colorful. I chose to saturate the photograph. 

For the fourth task, I chose to illustrate a piece of writing from Where the Wild Things Are. I chose to change the protagonist to a female because females should be portrayed as audacious and adventurous rather than obedient all the time. I also change the monster to a European horror influenced Chinese mythological creature. 

I really have a lot to improve. But, trying new things are always good. To me, art is a medium that helps me to imagine. Someday, the sometimes obscure imaginations within my brain could be drag into the world of reality.