Quarter 1 - Artist Statement - Brittany Cooper

I must say when I signed up for senior art, I had every intention that this class would be BEYOND boring. I seriously had a change of heart. From the time Mrs. Hull gave the a timed schedule to working on each piece I knew this was going to be a good year. Every class period songs are played to inspires the mood of the room. Having art allowed me to share and express my talents not only through paints but musically as well. 

Having to mix colors for my ceiling tile would be my biggest challenge. The first piece, The Code Name: Kids Next Door. I used vibrant colors to highlight and make each character stand out. The Charcoal Still Life was a difficult piece because I had to create a line a focus to incorporate all of the piano keys. Glittering the pumpkin was pretty easy. I used a light colored paint to insure that you see the pink glitter but also draw attention to the under tone. The self portrait, was a bit of a challenge. I say this because I have such around face and high check bones, that it was hard for me to get every detail. Making it evenly proportioned was also a tricky part, but I managed to get it done. 

My favorite piece of art would be my personal painting, which I did on a ceiling tile. It was a good idea not to prime the ceiling tile because it gave it a natural look. To get the texture of her hair, I dampened a dishwashing sponge. Dipping the sponge in paint, in a circular motion, I created the highlighted curls in her hair.  I must say when I signed up for senior art, I had every intention that this class would be BEYOND boring. I seriously had a change of heart. From the time Mrs. Hull gave the a timed schedule to working on each piece I knew this was going to be a good year. Every class period songs are played to inspires the mood of the room. Having art allowed me to share and express my talents not only through paints but musically as well.