Quarter 1 Art

This quarter in Art class, students worked on assignments with a certain amount of freedom. While we did have guidelines and specific pieces to complete, how and when we did that was left to the individual. We started the quarter with work in Art History, something that almost none of us had exposure to previously. Though I have always loved art, it has never been something I have considered myself ‘good’ at. However, this quarter, I realized that that’s okay. I don’t have to be naturally gifted at something to enjoy it, and it’s difficult not to enjoy art. This quarter, we covered everything from pumpkin-carving to charcoal still-life to painting ceiling tiles, and I enjoyed every bit of it. I teamed up with one of my classmates, Leah Petty, and created two ceiling tiles this quarter, as well as learned how to carve pumpkins with her. Unfortunately, one of our ceiling tiles is put on hold for a moment until we can bring in some more paint! The most challenging piece for me was absolutely my self-portrait. I’ve never been good at drawing what I see, so trying to draw what I couldn’t see was even more difficult. I look forward to the rest of the year in Art class, I can’t wait to see what other sides of art we explore and I look forward to learning even more.