Quiche

Serving Size: 4

Quiche

Ingredients:

• 9-inch refrigerated pie crust

• tablespoon of olive oil

• 1 red bell pepper

• 1 onion

• 4 eggs

• ¾ of a cup of half and half

• 2 cups of swiss cheese

Recipe:

1. Heat oven at 375.

2. Put peppers and onion in olive oil for 5 minutes or until some what soft.

3. Whisk together your eggs and half and half and after mixed put in peppers, onions and cheese.

4. Pour the mixture in to the crust and then place in oven for 35 minutes.

Analysis:

Most of the ingredients used in my dish are not processed. The eggs, peppers, and onions are not processed while the half and half, cheese, and pie crust is processed. The pie crust has no sugars and 649 calories, the eggs have 200 calories and no sugars, the cheese has no sugars but is 500 calories, the half and half has 100 calories and 1g of sugar, while the peppers and onions have no sugars and each have 24 and 44 calories. So although this may seem like a lot of calories keep in mind that this is a serving size for four and that there are a lot of things in the meal that are needed. This includes some dairy and vegetables are necessary to maintaining a healthy diet. However the negative side of the vegetables that I used is that they were not organically grown so this can include pesticides, fossil fuel, and fertilizer. Where if they were grown organically some of the negative side affects of eating vegetable that is not grown organically. The pepper industry is at an all time high crop value at 627.5 million. However as the crop is starting to grow in demand in places like California the need for employees increases as well. So as this continues it causes a lot of issues with undocumented immigrants working for below minimum wage to increase the profit of the pepper sellers. Another social repercussion with the quiche is the half and half at dairy farms the cows are kept in very horrible conditions. It has been shown that they are put in very cramped areas that are many times very dirty and they are not allowed outside. They produce 10 times more milk a day then cows from a decade ago according to the ASPCA. So although quiche may be a better option then some there are some repercussions when eating it.

​Personal Reflection: 
Through this quarter I have learned a lot about the importance of healthy living and eating. I learned that over 1/3 of the United States is obese or overweight. Every year the rate of obesity is increasing and America has the most obese population compared to any other country. My role in the larger food systems is to raise awareness about the things that are being made in our country and the things that America does that forces it's people to eat very unhealthy things. I could cut caffeine out of my life, because I'm so dependent on caffeine it means that i drink a plot of sugary drinks, soda, and coffee which is very unhealthy for me. Also thinking about meals the week before so that I'm not eating so unhealthy because there's nothing else in the house. The impact of these changes would be that I would feel healthier about myself and that I would be able to do more and probably live longer. I don't think I'm willing to quit caffeine because I love it. We all die eventually and I don't want to live that long anyways.