Reconstruction Era Visuals Project

ARTIST'S STATEMENT

The topic of this poster is Black Codes and is dated back to 1765, which is three years after the Proclamation is passed. It's basically showing what it would be like to switch around the positions that African American were in, and change it to the perspective of white people. It is also demonstrating that these restrictions are not okay because they are rights that every human is entitled to. Another thing about this poster is that I put a fake author at the bottom. The author is a white abolitionist woman named Diana Abbey. There were a lot of abolitionists back then, both black and white. However, white abolitionist women were rare so I thought it would have been interesting to make her the author. 

This visual matters to African American history as a whole because even though it is a very simple poster, I think it gives the audience a clear point. It is essentially asking, ¨How would it feel if you were in their shoes?¨ Even though the Proclamation was passed, and it said that all slaves/African American people were free, it clearly wasn't like that at all. A big example are the Black Codes; one way or another people found loop holes and used them to their advantage. There were really unnecessary restrictions that put ¨free¨ African Americans in terrible situations. 

SOURCE ANALYSIS
https://docs.google.com/a/scienceleadership.org/document/d/1Ol3HIgmvj0XxLxQbYmEf5hXbUEs_OOF3l4rhNt_YT0c/edit?usp=sharing

af am