Relationships Can Be Changed But Not Tamed

(Comparing "Taming of the Shrew" to "Date Night")

The book “The Taming of The Shrew” follows the story of three men, Hortensio, Lutencio and Petruchio, and two women, Bianca and Katherine, who struggle to find a romance in the city of Padua. More in particular, the character named Petruchio is determined to marry the daughter of Baptista; Katherine. Petruchio, desperately going to any lengths to make Katherine his wife, will also attempt to change her in the process. Both the movie Date Night and Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew demonstrate the idea that starting a relationship and changing a pre-existing one cannot simply be forced upon.

“Forward, I pray, since we have come so far,

And be it moon, or sun, or what you please;

And if you please to call it a rush-candle,

Henceforth I vow it shall be so for me.”

(Act 4, Sc. 5, 14)

To tame Kate, Petruchio uses psychological methods, rather than aggressive or barbaric ones. Using highly sophisticated, psychological methods to tame Katherine allow her to keep her witty personality while remaining happy with Petruchio. In this scene, Petruchio makes a comment about the moon being so bright while Katherine attempts to assure him its not nighttime yet. Petruchio argues with Kate and Hortensio insists to Katherine that she simply agrees with him or else they arguement will not end.  Petruchio controls Katherine in order to have the marriage he wants. As for Phil and Claire Foster, they want to continue to have a healthy marriage and will do anything to do so.Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 10.28.24 AM.png

In this scene of Date Night, Phil Foster and Claire Foster are on their way to a restaurant for their night out. Forcing themselves to feel better about the situation, they both try to make each other feel comfortable in the situation.

“Then, God be bless'd, it is the blessed sun;

But sun it is not, when you say it is not;

And the moon changes even as your mind.

What you will have it nam'd, even that it is,

And so it shall be so for Katherine. “

(Act 4, Sc. 5, 21)

After being in the argument about the moon and sun, Petruchio successfully gets Katherine to agree to his opinion. This scene symbolizes the two characters and their relationship throughout the entire play. Petruchio wants to maintain the marriage he wants and is not afraid to change Katherine in order to do so. In result, it forms an unhealthy relationship.

In this scene of Date Night, Phil and Claire arrive late to a fancy restaurant and are not able to get a table. While waiting in line for a table, Phil takes somebody else’s reservations so that him and his wife are able to enjoy their date night. Phil wants to rekindle the relationship between him and his wife and is willing to do anything to make sure its secure. This scene not only presents the plot to the story line, but a comedic backdrop to remind the audience of it’s genre.

While both Petruchio and Phil Foster wanted to perfect the relationship they both strived for, neither relationship was mended with the actions the characters took.

In conclusion, both the movie Date Night and Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew demonstrate the idea that starting a relationship and changing a pre-existing one cannot simply be forced upon.