Short Live Debate on Jordan Brown Case

Partners: My Truong and Audrey Pham

Topic: Adolescents, crime and brain development

Case: Jordan Brown was 11 years old in February 2009 when he shot his father’s pregnant fiancee while she was sleeping. Still today as Jordan is 14 years old, it has not been decided whether or not Jordan will be going to lifetime prison for two homicide(women and her fetus) first degree murders or remain in juvenile prison until he is 18 or 21 years old. Currently as of today, multiple news station claims that Brown might get a new trial for this.

Presentation: Short live debate

Sources:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/10/pennsylvania.young.murder.defendant/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/jordan-brown-11-year-old-kenzie-houk-pennsylvania_n_1528791.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jordan-brown-pennsylvania-boy-convicted-of-murder-at-age-11-may-get-new-trial/

Two sides:

1. Should convicted as completely guilty and must be sent to adult jail

2. Not completely guilty, stay in juvenile and receive special treatment and attention

Script:

Must be sent to adult jail side:

1. Brown still executed his Father’s pregnant fiance. She was pregnant of 8 months so that is TWO deaths that Brown caused. Regardless of anything, he did what he did.

2. This could only be the beginning of his manifestation. He could end up being a lifetime criminal if we let him back into our society.

3. He killed his Father’s pregnant fiance in execution style so it was not accident. He intended to do that. If he intended to that, he needs to earn up to his own punishment.

4. If Brown is going to act like an adult and commit a crime that only adults would commit, then he needs to be served as an adult.

5. Although brain scans have shown that Brown’s brain is not fully developed yet because he was 11 years old at the time, he does not have any history or proof of psychological issues, therefore, mental illness is not being presented. He did have a mental disorder that would cause him to kill his Father’s pregnant fiance.

Stay in Juvenile prison and receive special treatment side:

1. The gun that Brown used to shoot his father’s fiance is a hunting gun that HIS FATHER bought for him during Christmas. It is the father’s responsibility because Brown at the age of 11, his mind is not fully functioned enough to own a gun (even if its a hunting gun).

2. After the shooting Brown showed no fear to the situation. He walked out the house and go school like an normal day. This evidence show that his brain is not functioning properly. Even adults after shooting a person they would show some fear but for Brown, it is just a normal day.

3. Yes, this might be the beginning of his manifestation, however is not fair to put him in adult prison. That was the reason we have juvenile in the first place.

4. Many brain develops were tested while he’s in juvenile prison. They also came to an conclusion that Brown brain is not fully functioning. At the age of 11, he should know what right vs. wrong and should know it is not okay to kill someone. However, his brain is not fully developed to understand the outcome of his action.

5. Not to mention that he might be jealous of the unborn child (his step brother). Being jealous should not be an excuse for him to kill. But he is too young to control his action towards his feelings. Just as how an adult is able to control their anger while is easier for kids to get angry.

6. In my opinion, Brown should be responsible for his action. However, it is not fair to put him in adult prison and his father should be responsible for Brown’s action. Because without the gun, the crime couldn't be committed.