Taylor Thomas Capstone

Taylor Thomas

HERE is a link to download my Final Capstone!

Mentors: Douglas Herman and Olivia Smith. Mr. Herman started the program that I made the documentary about and teaches every Digital Video class at Science Leadership Academy. Olivia Smith was one of Mr. Hermans students and is a Hermanator Advisee Alum. She has helped by teaching me shooting and editing skills. Also she has been a big help in helping me find myself as a person through this Capstone process.

Summary: My Capstone is a documentary Proposal for the Roughcut and Digital Video programs. It showcases what has been done and what will be done whether or not we have modern/high quality materials.

Abstract: My Capstone process has been a very steady but challenging road. My documentary shows the amazing things that students can learn in the classes that are provided, and ways that Rough Cut Productions has benefitted not only the students, but other organizations as well. I filmed throughout the year and made sure to capture myself in the final product along with the people who created the program, and current program leaders. I really worked hard to fit as many great aspects of film and video into the documentary as I could, but it was difficult due to the fact that there are an abundance of good things to say about the program and I was working around a time limit for my final product. Even though it was hard to include everything, I learned new ways to edit video while creating my piece. A few things were split screen video, how to match sound and video when the tracks separate, and also how to make things look as professional as possible even when the highest quality of video is not available.

Bibliography:

1. Rosenthal, Alan. Writing, Directing, and Producing Documentary Films. Carbondale: Southern Illinois UP, 1990. Print.

This book was very insightful. I thought that it was very helpful because it gave me a great idea for the way that I should edit the documentary. I was very pleased with what I found in the book. the book told me that I should not go to film with a set idea in my mind, otherwise the project will not turn out to be successful. In order for this documentary to show Roughcut and Digital Videos true colors, it needs to be painfully truthful in a sense.

2. Room 237. Dir. Rodney Ascher. Perf. Bill Blakemore, Geoffrey Cocks, Julie Kearns, and John Fell Ryan. Sundance, 2012. DVD.

This film was one of the first documentary’s I have actually sat through and been engaged in. This was a film about all of the crazy incidences that happened in the movie the Shining directed by Stanley Kubrick. What I took from this was that even though the footage for the voiceovers was not from any of Kubrick's films, the footage was relevant to what the people were saying about his work ethic. I thought it was pretty cool because I was just thinking of  doing actual footage that I took but it occurred to me that I can you archival footage from previous students of previous years.

3. Spector, Col. "5 Simple Mistakes Documentary Filmmakers Make." Raindance Film Festival. Raindance Film Partnership, 2012. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.

This website helped SO MUCH. It basically showed you what not to do in a documentary that I think a lot of people pass up. There are many ways that a documentary can go and if you do everything that this website says not to, you, my friend, are in for naptime. This website showed me what not to do to be able to keep all of my viewers awake and engaged. For example; I had to be able to film without a set outcome in mind because if I would have done that, I would have been looking in the wrong places for people to interview. It basically says to just take a camera and see what people think about the topic.

4. Man on Wire. Dir. James Marsh. Prod. Simon Chinn. By Igor Martinovic, Michael Nyman, J. Ralph, and Jinx Godfrey. Magnolia Pictures, 2008. DVD.

This movie really pushed me to take risks with how I would like to shoot my documentary. I saw this documentary in 2012 in advisory, but did not think anything of it. When I started thinking about really sitting down and trying to figure out what I need to do to film a documentary, I thought of Man on Wire. I used a few shots that were in this movie. There is a shot where the camera is on the ground and is tilted up to see an image which is what the director did in this film with the twin towers. I also thought that this movie did a really good job of keeping the story going.

5. Exit through the gift shop

6. Spellbound. Dir. Jeffrey Blitz. Prod. Jeffrey Blitz and Sean Welch. Perf. Neil Kadakia, Emily Stagg, Ashley White, April DeGideo, Harry Altman, Angela Arenivar, Nupur Lala, and Ted Brigham. ThinkFilm Inc., 2002.

This film was pretty interesting. It helped me move my story line along in very interesting ways also. Even though the film is 11 years old, I thought that the editing was very well done. I used driving shots of driving to the spellers houses in my video to show that our school is inner city and kind of exaggerate a few things in the film. I also used another transition that they showed which is showing part of a town with a name and then showing the full image of the town and making the name disappear for  my opening credits. I really wanted my film to be as interesting as this because it really kept me involved on a topic that seemed boring to me when I picked it up.

7. Shaner, Pete, and Gerald E. Jones. Digital Filmmaking for Teens. Boston, MA: Thomson Course Technology Professional Trade Reference, 2005. Print.

This was helpful just for the filming side of things. The title really threw me off and I was really unsure of if I even wanted to read it. It blew me away though by the simple fact of having a chapter on how to make it look like you have been doing this for years. There are tricks and certain ways to film that I used in my documentary. It was really easy to pull off also.

8. Herman, Douglas F. "Roughcut Productions." Roughcut Productions. Roughcut Productions, 2009. Web. 2013.

This is the Roughcut website. This was interesting to me for my project because it describes the first few years of the program and the people that started it. It also has plenty of archival footage that is easily accessible for my usage. This was the start of my  inspiration for this project. I was really intrigued by the way the website was set up and how everything was made.

9. Herman, Douglas F. "Partners (Global)." Environmental Portraiture Partners Global Comments. Douglas Herman, 2011. Web. 2013.

This is Mr. Hemans website where he keeps all of his photos from other places in the world. This really helped me believe it or not because there is a portion from when he was in India. Roughcut is currently teaching a course online to students in India which I will touch on in my project. I went to his website to look at the differences in their environment and ours to try to help myself get a few things straightened out in my head because I wanted to see what it might be like to take this class in a different country.

10. Herman, Douglas. "RoughCutProductions Plus." Vimeo. Douglas Herman, 2009. Web. 2014.

This is another place where I can get archival footage for my documentary. I mostly pulled from one specific video which is the 2012/2013 film festival. This is where all of the videos from those two years were made and collected. That was the year that I really started digital video and had films in the full two hour long piece to showcase everything we did that year. I thought it would help because it is the most recent thing other than the few things we have from this year.