Teige Dougherty's Capstone

Teige Dougherty

Joshua Newman, Outside school mentor

For my senior capstone I have been steadily training musician’s in several different genres and styles so that they can put on a performance. For the most part the musician’s have been very experienced and many already have several years of music in training. The concert was comprised of two guitars and a cello.

Citations:

1) .Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Web. 29 Jan 2014. <http://www.chop.edu/>.This citation provides information about the place where we will be playing. It helps to know that the hospital that we are playing at. The hospital itself was founded in 1855. It is currently heralded as the best children’s hospital in the country. It wins hundreds of awards every year. 

2) . Musician's On-Call. Web. 29 Jan 2014. <http://www.musiciansoncall.org/site/PageNavigator/home>. This source is about a group that already does what I am trying to do. They connect musicians with hospitals. They believe that music can help raise anyone’s sports and help them have the will to continue fighting through their condition. The organization has been functioning since 1999. This is almost 15 years of service to this noble goal. 

3) Wigram, Tony, Inge Nygaard Pedersen, and Lars Ole Bonde. A Comprehensive Guide To Music Therapy : Theory, Clinical Practice, Research, And Training. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2002. eBook Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 29 Jan. 2014.     ThThis source was helpful for several reasons. It helped me to comprehend the different effects on people through music. These effects can vary from lowering blood pressure, to increased drive. Both of these things can be  instrumental in helping a sick person get better. Most cancer studies say that an increased drive is one of the most important 

4) Pavlicevic, Mercedes. Groups In Music : Strategies From Music Therapy. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2003. eBook Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 29 Jan. 2014.This source is all about how the key to music therapy is that the group as to find an equilibrium between the music and the listener. It is all about how if the group is out of sync the music will not influence the patient correctly and if there is dissonance involved it can actually cause trouble within the patient themselves. 

5)Innes, Anthea, and Karen Hatfield. Healing Arts Therapies And Person-Centered Dementia Care. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2002. eBook Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 30 Jan. 2014.This link refers to the use of music to treat dementia, in elderly patients. Apparently music stimulates certain parts of the brain that help fight dementia. "Music therapyallowed Mrs. M to feel included and form a bond with the therapist, even if only for a few moments. It allowed her to utilize her voice, thereby reinforcing her awareness of herself.” This is talking about a woman who was in desperate need of help. Then someone taught her to sing for herself, and it enabled her to be more aware of her surrounding. 

6) "Redefining How to Learn Music." Jellynote. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.This is the main source that I have used for collecting the pieces of music. Most of the different pieces are ensembles of different instruments. These include, House of the rising sun, Game of thrones theme song, Sherlock theme song, Let’s dance to Joy Division, We are going tone friends, and Seven nation army. There are many more that this website has provided sheet music for. This is written in a way that I can read, in treble and bass clef. 

7)"Music as a Healing Bridge: Stuart Fuchs at TEDxBuffalo." YouTube. YouTube, 13 Nov. 2013. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.
One thing that his source brings, is information on how to create  safe space for music to help people the most. The kind of energy that is needed to bring happiness to the patients. It also has to do a lot with the helpful aspects of music to the spirit of someone who is experiencing tragedy. The many guy who is talking is giving a TED talk all about meditation in music. This is helpful specifically for helping someone meditate through music. That is essentially what we are trying to do, while simultaneously providing entertainment and distraction.

8)"Music Therapy: Music Can Help Cancer Patients." YouTube. YouTube, 12 June 2009. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.This is a video about the many uses of music therapy. It shows that it was used to help people who have cancer and it shows that it works. It was also talking about a young child who was having severe trouble with asthma, and had trouble relaxing, but once he started music therapy he was able to calm down and take a deep breathe. This essentially saved his life, because it enabled him to continue breathing on his own.

9) "American Music Therapy Association." What Is Music Therapy. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2014.This is an organization that does this type of music therapy. They believe that it is a revolutionary practice and this source helps me understand specific things about how it helps people and where it creates an atmosphere that could help a sick person heal. "Music Therapy is the clinical and evidence-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program.

10) HealthDay, WebMD News from. "Music Therapy May Help Teens With Cancer Cope – WebMD." WebMD. WebMD, 01 Mar. 0000. Web. 31 Jan. 2014.This is an article from WebMD, which is a reputable source for health information. This means that what they are saying is probably true. This article talks about how cancer patients benefit from music. This many be for several reasons. One reason is that it may help them coupe with their situation. Another reason why this might be helpful is for company. A lot of these patients don’t see people unless they are for tests and things like that. 

Below is a picture of the event itself. It was held in Rittenhouse square. *Note this photo was taken by the organization Humans of Philadelphia.
Here is a recording of one piece of music that was improved.https://soundcloud.com/teige-patrick-dougherty/capstone-recording-at
10372331_281283525387930_3274236242109878208_n