World History Final Portfolio 2014 - Bella Beato

In order to understand yourself and others you need to understand the past. In history this year we’ve learned many things relating to my main topic. Our identity today depends on the past of ancestors and many others. Throughout the year we’ve learned about religion, revolutions, Galileo, and colonization. In my portfolio I will show you examples of work that relates back to my main topic, “In order to understand yourself and others you need to understand the past.” 
We learned about religion in all different parts of the world. To end the religion unit we compared two different religions. I compared Islamic and Hinduism religions. Here is my Wiki Space. I demonstrated the difference between animal consumption in these religions. This helped me realize how people around me that practice these religions feel about animal consumption. It helped me become more sympathetic and understanding. 
Next we learned about many the French and Haitian revolutions. In my journal entry number 33 I talked about different things that could start a revolution. I said that to start a revolution you need to “Establish a goal, Promote your cause, have a vision of a better future, have education, good leadership, and everyone has to agree.” Here is a link to the journal entry. We also did background information about the french revolution to get a better understanding. Here is a link to my background information. To finish the unit we made a movie about revolutions. We focused on a main question and used evidence to support our answer. Here is my project. This unit really helped me understand that without these strong people rebelling against the French rule our world would not be the same today. Who knows what the world would be like without these people. 
We did a smaller unit about Galileo and his inventions and beliefs. Galileo was a brilliant man who challenged the church that they were wrong. In this renaissance time period it was unheard of to challenge the church because the church was the government. He was convicted for his ideas and sent to jail. As an assignment I created a letter from the perspective of Galileo to the church. Here is the letter. This was a great way for me to get into the perspective of another person and see how they think. 
The last unit of the year was about colonization. We learned about how the British attempted to colonize the whole world so that they could control everything. In journal entry 51 we explained two quotes. For the first quote I said “How you make the result happen is just as important as the result.” Here is a link to the entry. At the end of the unit we made our own history exhibit about colonization and presented it to the class. Here is a link to my exhibit. By creating this exhibit I got to see the different struggles that people went through when the British tried to take over their homes. It also showed me that the British shaped the world to make it the way it is today. 
Throughout the year we have learned many interesting things in history class. I’ve learned overall that all these things helps us understand the people around us and ourselves. We need to understand the struggles and battles other people went through and are still going through. By understanding this information it makes us, as humans, more sympathetic. It is important to care for other because we need others to care for us. We treat others the way we want to be treated.