You're Bigger than the Trigger - The Final Chapter

Continuing on my adventure in my You and World project I am here to talk to you about the change I have made, and how I have become my own Agent of Change. In my last blog post, I took the research into my own hands and decided to use the people right in front of me and what they thought about gun control. After getting mixed responses, it made me realize that our city is full of a variety of people, and I can’t do anything to make them change what they think and feel about it, so my best option is to make it known, and aware, which I think is what I wanted to start out with when writing my first blog post. While thinking about what I wanted to do for my agent of change, I continued my research and began to look at the bigger picture. What is going on now to help this issue? I soon found that as we speak people are fighting for a bill to be passed to advocate ammo limits. The more I researched, the more I found people fighting for what they thought was right, like I was. Maybe I can’t get a bill passed, but I know I could do something. Looking around at my community, and from my results from the survey I gave, drew me to a conclusion that I could instead by lecturing people, I could draw people in and interest them. Before I knew it I had made my own infographic with my friend Madison who was also doing a similar project. After we had filled the infographic with facts about guns involving teens in Philadelphia,we printed about 50 and put them all around school.   

IMG_7784.JPG

Here is a picture of one of our posters on a wall in our school.

Coming to a conclusion of this project, it has taught me a lot. After being able to do something I was passionate about, and actually knowing that a 9th grader was able to make a small difference in a huge issue actually feels pretty good. I am hoping that people will stop by my posters and take the time to read them and think about what's going on in our world, and maybe, just maybe do something to help change it. Now I know that I am capable of doing something that I came up with, and it not going completely downhill unless I really work hard on it, which I think I did. Of course, there is so much more I want to do, change, like spending more time informing others, and possible speaking someone who is really active in fighting for gun control, but for what I did, I am still proud of what I accomplished. Like it says on my poster, you’re bigger than the trigger, so before you pull it, I advise you to think about the world around you!

Click here to read by annotated bibliography.

Kaamil Jones (Student 2018)
Kaamil Jones

I really enjoyed this blog post. It was something that related to everyone in the world. It was also interesting to know how people have so many different views.