Q2 Media Fluency

UPDATE:
Because many suggested that I get rid of the quotes on my slide, I decided to do so and delete them, because like they said, it actually is more meaningful. Additionally, the audience felt that the words were covering my face too much. In actuality, it was supposed to cover to have the audience focus on the text. To improve the contrast even further, I switched everything to the opposite side. So now, the yellow period is even more outstanding than the other text to solidify the statement on the slide. Finally, to make the slide come back to life, I fixed the shadowing on the text to make sure it still had the "night and day" effect to it. 

Throughout this slide design unit, I learned a ton. I used to think that slides were designed so that you can read them to your audience. It turns out that slides were used for a reason far from that. I now know that slides are nothing but a VISUAL AID, meaning it’s supposed to help you a little bit by helping you remember key points in a presentation but a Keynote of PowerPoint presentation is 90% made for your audience to follow. I learned from websites like Presentation Zen, Zach Holman, and Apple.com that less is more, picture backgrounds can be modified via Alpha, and that color contrast is key in a slide.    

Hi everyone,

My slide is entitled “The Dreamer.” For my color scheme, I used a pallet of light-ish primary colors, because the contrast with each other very much. The background of the slide was composed of a fade from yellow to a baby blue. The yellow represents the day, while blue represents the night. The yellow of the background in the slide “shines” a light onto the letters in the slide and the letters then have a shadow. I used the website http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colorcontrasts.asp as a reference to see which colors contrasted the most with each other so that the words would be relatively clear. The punctuation and quotes in the slide are in different but bolder colors to emphasize the statements.

The text is shown to be very important because of its boldness and contrast to the background of the slide. I adjusted the kerning on some words so that they would appear more or less important and impacting on my audience. Since the quotes are in the upper left corner, they almost sway the audience to look at the bottom where the more important text is, the title. I used plenty of emptiness to keep my slide very simple to understand, and so that when the few words on the slide were read that the audience could look at the speaker. The picture bleeds off of the slide, and the picture is also in a way “looking” into the yellow light of the background on the slide.

me.slide
me.slide2