Bajirao Mastani-Mako Mori Test

The movie Bajirao Mastani, is a newly released movie from Bollywood. The movie was based on a true life story of Mastani, a princess, a warrior, a court dancer. Mastani in real life, was born 1699, Bundelkhand. Mastani was a princess, but was also a warrior, trying to protect her homeland. She met Mastani, a male warrior in the battleground, and ask of him to help her. She grew to like Bajirao. She then left her home, to go find Bajirao, who had already went back to his homeland, after helping her homeland. She did not follow by the rules, she set her own, venture out after what she wants. It was about her life, and the control she had of it, instead of the typical thought when it come to princesses. It was not about Bajirao, the person she went after, that lead her to a whole new land, but what she believed in, and how she get what she wants.

The movie passed the Mako Mori Test. The Mako Mori test consist of three things.

“ -A film having at least one female character.
  - That character having her own narrative arc.

• The narrative arc can not be about supporting a man’s story.”

Bajirao Mastani, had more than one female character. Mastani had her own narrative arc, that does not support a man’s story, even though she did fought for the love she had for Bajirao. She did it out of what she want, what she believed in, she went through great measures, that women at that time would not do. She was also a warrior, who actually went to was with Bajirao. It was about her, taking control of her life, as a powerful woman.

My anti-gender bias film test would be…

• There’s a female with leading role in the movie.

• Female being able to be independent.

• Female fight for what they believe in.

• Female who have her own narrative arc.

The movie Bajirao Mastani and my own test.

The movie would still pass, it pass each and everyone of them. Even though the name of the movie is Bajirao Mastani, Mastani and her lover Bajirao. The main focus is on the power Mastani had, going against all odds. Of going to a new kingdom, having people want her dead left and right Protecting herself and her baby. It was how the character Mastani portrayed as one of the strongest characters in the movie.
bajirao-mastani-hindi-film-2015-hd-wallpapers-free-download-1