Blood Born Savages

Laith Abuharthieh

April 7, 2016

English 2

Mrs. Pahomov

Blood Born Savages

The characteristics of savage is found in everyone. If you look deep down enough eventually you will find people who are murderous or carry some type of blood lust. Age isn’t a factor unless you make it one. A person could say children are more savage because they don’t really realize or reflect on the things they do, so if they were to do something bad they wouldn’t care because children don’t reflect on their actions. Although children don’t intend to harm someone it doesn’t change the fact that they are savages. Adults have a similar yet entirely different situation. Growing up, most people are taught how to behave and are pushed far from savagery, but when an adult begins to live their life and take their own path they have no one to tell them how to avoid being savage, so the real world takes them back to their uncivilized ways.

In the story “The Lord of the Flies,” by William Golding, there are many occasions to portray the savagery of children. Children realize that they can act however they want as soon as they notice there are no grownups or parents to tell them otherwise. In the very beginning of the book when Ralph and Piggy met, they were trying to remember how they got on the island and if there was anyone else on it. Since the realization of there being no grown ups with them, the story took its curvy path. “ In the middle of the scar he stood on his head and grinned, at the reversed fat boy, no grownups!” (9) he said this while grinning foreshadowing something terrifying due to the lack of an elder power. Since there are

Abuharthieh 2

no adults to tell them what to do they must choose a leader and because they are children none of them are capable enough to lead a group of children on a deserted island.

Although the children were mindless animals, you can’t blame them for going crazy. Being taught their whole life the difference between right and wrong and out of nowhere they are able to do whatever they want. Their restrained savage ways finally came to light. This doesn’t change the fact that

grown ups surpass children when it comes to being savages. For example Donald Trump, a man who says he can “make america better’’ will ruin this country.. He claims to be fair and unbiased yet lies to the entire United States knowing he has faults and is not reasonable or fair. To ruin a whole country is as savage as it gets. America was made for everyone, not just the white race. Threatening to build a wall from the mexican border and forcing the immigrants to pay for it is a great example of being a savage. No child is capable enough to do such a thing which makes them less savage.  “I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.” In this scenario Donald Trump is  older, and has the higher power in comparison to voters. He makes some very brutal statements and because of his social power, the lower classes follow him and his ways by voting for him

If someone were to compare an adult and child thoroughly it would be impractical, but if a person were to compare the older characters to the little ones then it’s possible. In other words because there are no adults the author had to show a higher power of brutality and it was shun upon the elder characters. In “Lord of the Flies” there are no grown ups, so there had to be a conflict or a sign of savagery and it was shown through the children, especially the older and stronger ones. After Jack and

Abuharthieh 3

the little ones kill the pig, Simon tells them about the beast which was a man on a parachute, they were so deep into their bloodlust they totally ignored Simon and began to chant “Kill the beast, Cut his throat,

Spill his blood”(152)  until Simon layed there lifelessly. Without even the slightest thought or feeling of regret they cooked up their pig ate the meal and continued to survive without him. Jack being their leader everyone else followed what he did and eventually they became just as bad as he was. Starting out in the story the little ones actions were not the same as they were by the end. In other words they were very clueless and afraid in the beginning by the end of the book they were ready to take away someone's life without hesitation.

WIlliam Golding presents an allegory of reality through the story “Lord of the Flies”. Politically speaking that older characters influence younger ones to become more calamitous, which means that the older humans are more ruinous than the younger ones. When children are at a younger age they normally look up to the older people, while the older people act uncivilized this rubs off on the younger ones which starts a chain of unruly people that make up our society. In this case Jack who at one point becomes leader of the little ones on the island becomes very violent and delusional but because he was the older power the little ones followed in his footsteps to be just like him, therefore his negativity has rubbed upon the children. Transitioning from innocent and confused to barbarians due to the actions of their insolence leader their negativity empowered Jack’s influence on them. Looking back at Donald Trump, his attempt at leading America is in the same category but different situation. Jack would represent Donald Trump while the little ones would be everyone voting for him. His acquired power as an elder will affect the way everyone else's actions negatively.

Works cited:

Works cited:

Golding, William. Lord of the flies. New York: Pedigree,2006

Br, Anna. "Donald Trump: I Would Force Mexico to Build Border Wall."Msnbc.com. NBC News Digital, 28 June 2015. Web. 07 Apr. 2016.

Destiny Patton (Student 2018)
Destiny Patton

Do you agree with their comparison?

I agree with his comparison because of instead of comparing Donald Trump to his political party and then to the kids, he used his age as a factor of what plays into someone's mindset. He shows that you can be older and hold knowledge and be a savage or, be young and inexperienced and be a savage.

Copy & Paste a sentence you thought was well written.

Politically speaking that older characters influence younger ones to become more calamitous, which means that the older humans are more ruinous than the younger ones.

Why did you like their writing

I liked his writing because he used an uncommon comparison. Also, he got to the point without being too wordy or repeating himself.