Discrimination of Work and Education with a Disability

The Passion, Information, Change is the You and the World project. This project is picking a topic that you feel very strongly about and finding a way to change the world. During this project you will go through three stages, the passion which is the issue, the information which is consistent throughout the project and is where you gather up all of your knowledge about your passion, and then the change which is where you make the difference.

My passion is work and education with a disability. I want to know why certain people’s disabilities are discriminated more than others.This issue is important because some people don’t think that discrimination with a disability is still going on but it is. The laws that are put in place to protect the disabled are not used to the fullest extent.

Some disabilities are discriminated more than others. Disabilities that are more physical are the ones that are targeted the most. Someone with  down syndrome is more likely to be discriminated than someone than dyslexia. There are both disabilities but down syndrome has a physical effect and people are more likely to judge.

There are laws that prevent discrimination if you have a disability. These laws are enforced so a qualified  individual is treated equally even if they are disabled. Finding a job is hard in itself but it is especially hard if you have a disability. The definition of a disability is a physical or mental condition that limits a person’s movements, senses, or activities. Everybody is different, there is no need to judge someone because of the way they learn. Discrimination means the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

Statistics show 36 million people have some type of disability. The percentage of someone having a disability and being employed is 4.6% in the United States.

Chart with percentages of disabled working individuals:http://www.dailyyonder.com/geography-disability/2011/11/29/3619

In some schools the disabled are separated from the rest. People with disabilities learn differently and they get modified classes because of it but that is only in some schools. This should be in all schools. In some cases children even get abused in their schools. Only 36% of students with a disability take special needs classes. Special needs children are not given the proper care that they need.

Picture saying all children can learn: https://weawayne.wordpress.com/

There are even stereotypes towards people with disabilities. Some are…

• People with disabilities are always miserable

• Should be treated differently

• All deaf people can read lips

• People with disabilities always need help

• Always confined to a wheelchair

I want to go more into detail about this issue and know more information about it. I hope by reading this people understand a little more how much discrimination really happens to people with disabilities. I am looking forward to actually making a difference in our community and making a difference.

Amal Giknis (Teacher)
Amal Giknis

There are a lot of issues to explore here — which will you focus on in your project? Is it the way students with disabilities are being treated in some schools? In seeking employment? You'll need to define the discrimination you're seeing and thinking about how to target it and raise awareness to the issue.

Fabian Colón (Student 2018)
Fabian Colón

While reading your blog post, I thought this is going to be very educational and moving. Not many people think about discrimination against a disability. What stood out to me is the fact that your compared the discrimination between a physical disability and non-physical. Another thing that stood out to me was the graph on different areas instead of different disability's. This reminds me of a moment in my life where I thought about why disabled people are treated different from each other and healthy people. I am looking forward to your original research post because I believe you said you were doing an interview and field work. I want to see how it will play out.