Leader

There are always people that believe in the underdog because sometimes the underdog is a more useful thinker than the favored person.

In the book “Lord of the Flies” by William Golding, Ralph got chosen to be the leader over Piggy. Piggy was more of a logical thinker versus Ralph who was more of an on the spot thinker so he didn’t really think about long term issues. “Piggy stirred . “I’ll come.” Ralph turned to him. You’re no good on a job like this””. Ralph wasn’t thinking about the more people the better. He only thought about piggy right then or as dead weight even though Piggy could have given really good input for their expedition. He could have even been an extra pair of eyes on the trip. He didn’t put much thought into how piggy could help in their expedition.   

During his second term George Bush probably wasn’t seen as the best leader by a lot of people. But he was the more popular person, probably since he was already president. But John Kerry was probably a better leader since george bush left the economy pretty bad when he did leave the office. But people still voted for him to become president. This is like lord of the flies because ralph wasn't the best leader but got chosen over piggy because of popularity.

Piggy wasn’t seen as a leader by most of the group. From the beginning of the book he was made fun of by the other kids on the island. His original name was fatty until ralph introduced him to the group as piggy. Since Piggy didn’t stand up for himself the name just stook with him. That’s another problem Piggy has he lets people step all over him without correcting them. This is probably why he didn’t picked as the leader. Can’t have a leader that’s easy to push around. A leader should be able to tell any of their followers to do something and they do it, not just laugh at him and ignore. A leader should have certain qualities. It shouldn’t be easy to boss them around or change their opinion very easily. Piggy should stand up for himself more and Ralph should become his own thinker.

A leader should be able to relate to his or her followers. If the leader doesn’t relate to its followers either he or she doesn’t have very many followers or it just becomes a blind leading the blind situation blind.

Eli Block (Student 2018)
Eli Block

I agree with what you had to say and I think that it is very insightful. But John Kerry was probably a better leader since george bush left the economy pretty bad when he did leave the office. But people still voted for him to become president This is my favorite part it is a great example and really makes sense with your examples from your book.