Literary Lens Q3 Benchmark

In our English 3 class students, were asked to built and construct an entertaining yet informative video that takes any type of movie, show, article and or recorded/documented aspect of their surroundings of which they will help the viewer see in one or more of the following lens feminist, marxist, and new historicist. 

By: Betty Louis, Liza Cohen, Timothy Ingram, and Emily Jenson.
Our Reflection:​

Liza’s Write-Up:

The group and I worked really well together to finish this project on time and present it at it’s best quality. The group worked sufficiently by meeting our goals on time. By doing this, each member of the group put in a great deal of effort and contribution to the project. I, personally, liked playing the role of managing the group; making sure we were up to par with doing things on time and meeting the correct requirements. Before we starting to make our video, we took the proper amount of time to do some thorough brainstorming. Each day in class, I would raise ideas to the group before going through with them. This was important since the project was a team effort and I didn’t want to make decisions that my group didn’t agree with; without communicating with them first. Aside from that, I helped with the physical portion of the project; by organizing the video. The imovie wasn’t on my computer. Therefore, I used the work-time given to us in class by helping my group member with the video. I helped put slides together. While she put everything in the video, I organized it. So, I was contributing to the organization aspect of the movie. In general, I did the daily requirements of being in a group project by making sure I recorded my lines from the script every day and regularly asking my group members if they needed any extra assistance with any portions from the project.

A moment of collaboration that I am the most proud of is when the group and I would record our scenes for the movie. This made us get more enthusiastic with the project. Each time this happened, we got excited when it triggered us to get new ideas to make our video even better.

Betty Louis- Write Up

In this project I personally contributed my technology skills and ideas. In the beginning of this project I helped by suggesting clips of the movie that we chose. Once that was discussed and decided I helped with giving out websites and other ideas each group member could use in order to download the clips and the movie into our laptops. During this whole project I was the one that made sure everyone emailed me their recordings and I put them all together in one whole video. After that was done I checked in with my teammates and allowed them to see it in case there was anything that I missed. Once I got some feedback from them I made some minor changes,  exported the video from imovie and uploaded it. I am very proud at how well we all contributed to the project, collectively collaborated on our ideas, that we all were able to finish and turn in our benchmark right on time, and exceeded in following our goals. One moment that I’m really proud of is how in class we all suggested our ideas of how the flow of the video would be. Whenever there was an idea put on the table we would all think about it. If we all agreed on it we’d keep it, if it wasn’t we’d professionally talk about it and make some improvements on it.  

Timothy’s Write-Up

These past two weeks my group and I worked real good to finish the final product for our quarter three english benchmark. We all took time to set out the rules and goals as a team and we all follow them to have a complete benchmark. In this project I personally contributed to giving out ideas on what should be done for the whole benchmark. I contributed with finding all the information on the lenses so as a group explain what the movie have to do with the different lenses. I contributed to recording my part and more to make an actually video for the final design based on the movie Taken. They last thing I could equally I contributed to was finding the right clips in the movie Taken to compare the lenses to the parts in throughout the movie. They moment of collaboration I am most proud is when we all came together to give out the ideas because we all gave out personal ideas on what we should do. Also I am most proud of that because we came to one final agreement without any arguments or disagreements on what video we could analyze into all the different lenses. At the end of the product I am happy because we all worked hard to complete this quarter three english benchmark and finish it as a group.

Emily

Over the past two weeks my group and I worked consistently to complete our quarter three benchmark. We worked well together, setting deadlines and goals. I helped chop up the movie in imovie and edited out what we needed. I wish I had been in class more and contributed more to this project, I really did not do as much as my groupmates. They were awesome and reminded me gently about things i needed to do and worked with me through the process. Overall i understand the lenses more now and even find myself subconsciously analyzing movies and tv everyday now.

Nia Hammond (Student 2015)
Nia Hammond
  1. I agree with the feminist and marxist lens analysis. For the Marxist, I see that the takers used the girls' naivety to trick them and use them as part of the societal production.
  2. I don't think this video pushed my thinking much, because if I'd had the chance to sit back and watch the movie through the lenses myself, I would come up with very similar responses to it myself.
  3. This reminds me of our American history unit about human trafficking.
  4. I liked the connection to the audience— the video itself and the comments within the video were comfortable for the audience and video cast and not too formal.
Bryanna Jones (Student 2015)
Bryanna Jones
  1. Describe how you agree or disagree with their analysis. If you agree, add a few sentences extending their theory about their text. If you disagree, use the lens to produce an alternate analysis of their text.

I agree with their analysis. The movie portrays how men dominate women because of their desire to make money. Which are two lenses right there, feminist and marxist.

1. Did this video push your thinking at all? Did it encourage you to look at the world in a new way? Explain why or why not. It did, once again the rots of this problem is money, the products are women. This made me look at human trafficking in a brand new light.

2. What other book, film, movie, TV show, etc. does their project remind you of? How could you apply their analysis to this other text?

This reminds me of a book I once read about a brothel in India. They could have connected some characters, because many are similar to the ones in this movie.

1. What shout-outs do you have for this group and their project? Cool movie choice
Alexis Dean (Student 2015)
Alexis Dean

I agree with their analysis because I feel like they touch on a lot of stereotypes that are formed through those lenses. The video did push me to look at the world because I didn't expect that a little bit of kindness could equal the things that are portrayed in others heads. This video reminds me of episodes of Law and Order where girls are taken and preyed upon for those exact views. You could look at money, power and women's natural fragile state for being the reason of rape and murder in Law and Order. I think you guys did very well and I enjoyed watching your video. Keep up the good work.

Alexis Dean (Student 2015)
Alexis Dean