Saamir Baker Q.3 BM

From an early point in mankind’s rules have become a staple to our community, environment, and lifestyle. Its like,  Humans create rules, and laws to create some sort of order in their lives, and can keep in reach to control. Without them  many people wouldn’t have order. We’ve all wondered why we as humans have rules that are in place to follow. If we should bend, or break the rules for something or someone, for that matter, but usually this is for a gain of some sort.  

The book “Lord of the flies” takes place on an island that had not yet been populated, until the shipwrecked boys came,. They were very lawless.  From a third-person’s view, we follow Ralph as he ventures through this trial with the other boys who are shipwrecked. In this story we witness many grabs at power of the island, but more importantly how a society that tries to become organized, with rules crumble and become lawless. On page 58, of “Lord of the flies”, by William Golding,  we see the beginning stages of the rules Ralph and the group have set in place start to crumble. As people start to not follow them, or rebel, against them. A quote from Ralph says “ We’ve got to have rules and obey them. After all, we’re not savages. We’re English, and the English are the best at everything.”. This quote stands out to me mostly for the simple fact that, like mentioned before, rules will create a structure to their lives that will let them live without (for the most part) a worry or care. It is also intriguing how they play the fact that they are English as a key that they should follow these rules because they are “the best at everything” and as a result if they aren’t following these rules well then they aren’t being a proper Englishman. Just as it is a stereotype in popular culture nowadays that people who are English, are very proper and nice. It’s almost as if, Ralph used great debate skills  to convince them to follow the rules and not get out of line. As a way to assert dominance and stay in power of everyone on the island. As referring back to the thesis of needing rules to not only have some structure in his life but also so he can have a grip of power. Not only on his life, but the people around him lives.

While of course a book created to  depict fiction of any scenario, there are real-life examples of not only places crumbling from having no rules, but also having rules that are either so constantly broken or just not followed its as if they don't have any. And in some places they don't. For great example, Somalia is known as the lawless country. Dating back to the time that a blackhawk had fallen there, this nation has had a big problem with reestablishing a government or having any laws/rules to have citizens follow. As a result of having no rules to follow, the country has taken a turn for the worse. Civil war has broken out but slowly decreased but citizens commonly deal with problematic gangs and on a large scale pirates, and not Black beard I mean modern day pirates, which have plagued their coastlines. This country alone is one huge example of how being a lawless society can be more of a plague. This country also refers back to the quote in the beginning of the essay, that trying to be an anarchist community doesn’t ever work out for the better so we have rules in place. And sadly there are no rules in place to help progress this country, despite the many efforts that were previously attempted. This connects with people we believe, rules are in place to enforce and help. That rules are a blanket that keeps societies warm and provide shelter for them. But maybe the people of Somalia prefer to be lawless after so long. It’s become a new way of life that cannot be broken. The testament to people who believe anarchy is best that people should create a way of life that THEY would prefer to live in by the way they want. Wherever you may stand on this, both sides of the wall can be heavily brooded about.

Have you ever made a game with your friends? Or decided to play something like cops and robbers, and hide and seek because it was boring. There were almost always rules involved with these games to create a structure within. Now think, was there ever a time when your friend bended the rules to fit their needs? When one bended the rules so badly usually it is because they don't have any power in their hands. They can’t control what happens so they try to overthrow the rules and the person or people who made them. Like we saw in “Lord of the Flies” when Jack tried to overthrow Ralph. Do you often wonder if rules are pointless if people do infact bend them or break them. Maybe the Somalis are right for having no laws so nobody can attempt to control anything.

Every so often, like somewhat the case with Somali, citizens or settlers, begin to break rules and sometimes rebel against them. This is the case somewhat with this next quote from the novel, and it says… “ Hands were reaching for the conch in the light of the setting sun,. He held on and lept on the trunk. “All of this I meant to say. Now I’ve said it. You voted me for chief. Now you do what I say.””. This quote demonstrates a person, higher up, etc, losing his control on a group of people and is reacting because of it. Ralph doesn’t like the fact people are going against the rules that are established, to stay in control, and displays that in the quote. It may also be the fact he doesn't feel as though their, for the sake of it having some type of name, tribe was structured enough for his liking. Relating back to the thesis that rules are in place to give someone power and structure, and when Ralph was losing one or both of those he displayed how disgruntled he was.

While rules have always provided a structure in our lives that a lot of people need. They also employ an act of control over us. A lot of times this goes unnoticed. Do you ever wonder if we will become a dystopian society under the heavy pressures of rules, or become another version of Somali where no rules apply to anyone where we live a lawless life?