Blood Simple Review

The movie for the most part held a great story line. The set up of the first scene had a good way of capturing the audience, by starting with the affair head first. For the first scene where the affair is acknowledged the director did a good job in not only focusing on the couple but filmed different parts of the room. You can tell that the couple were very comfortable with each other as a whole. This clearly wasn't the first time that they had messed around. The chemistry that had showed not only by the way that they carried themselves around each other, but by their dialect. When the husband called and the manstress answered the phone, once finding out that her husband had knowledge of her affair, Lisa showed no signs of her being worried. She in fact continued seeing this guy throughout the movie.

The twists and turns at first had me confused because i thought that Ray was two different people because i didn't quite process the fact that he thought Lisa had killed Marty at first, and that that was the reason he was getting rid of the body. So the ending for me wasn't really expected but it came together amazingly.

Act I- Set Up (establishes Mis-en-Scene)

The lady,Lisa, is talking to Ray, a guy whom she is having an affair with, about her husband/marriage

Plot Point 1- (establishes Dramatic Need of protagonist)

The husband of the wife, Marty, finds out about Lisa’s affair. He then hired a hit man to off his wife and her boy toy.

Act II- Confrontation (Dramatic Need plays out on screen)

There is a scene where Lisa and Ray are talking in a apartment which they share together. This scene sets up the next scene where the hit man shows pictures of Lisa and Ray, whom he apparently in the apartment, to Marty.

Plot Point 2- (major obstacle to protagonist's Dramatic Need)

After being given the money for his completed job, the hit man shots Marty who appears to have died. Ray goes to the bar where Marty was shot and takes him somewhere to be buried. There he realizes that Marty is still alive but buries him anyway.

Plot Point 3- (Climax- the final answer on whether the Dramatic Need is accomplished)

Ray found the gun, which the hit man left at the bar. He initially assumes that Lisa had tried to kill him. In suspicion of Lisa and Ray knowing that it was he who murdered Marty, the hit man attempts to kill the both of them.

Act III- Resolution (Leads to whether the Dramatic Need is achieved?)

After shooting Ray, the hit man targets Lisa who gets away and ends up shooting him instead.

Aftermath- (What has changed for the protagonist, his/her world as a result of Act I,II, III?)

Lisa is now widowed and lost her boyfriend all because of the affair that she had. She will more than likely be trialed for the killing of the hit man, but it might be overlooked and seen as self-defense.