Relapse After the Shot to My Pride

Marina Pyfrom

Science Leadership Academy
“Relapse After the Shot to My Pride”   

Relapse After the Shot to My Pride was at first a series of monologues that eventually molded together into a play. Nadia, the main character, has hit rock bottom after the death of her father. They were inseparable, their bond was like no other. She is not the only person who took his death, but the whole town is. Her father was a legend. He was the best soldier around, from his tactic ways to  strategic plans, he knew it all. He spoke, live, breathed war. His last words he uttered was "Keep her safe" referring to his beloved daughter. Will Nadia survive the storm or will she crumble? '

This suspenseful theater play can relate to all of us in some type away. Loosing a close one is tragic. It is sometimes so painful that you have the feeling you just want to get away from it all. My message too you hopefully you realize after watching my play is there always is a light at the end of the tunnel. You just have to manage to get through it.

Characters: 
Present Nadia, an artist who is outspoken about her past problems and is willing to talk about it.
Young Nadia, young adolescent who is miserable after the death of her father.
Nanda, Nadia’s father and also is the best well-known soldier around.
Sian, Nadia’s mother, she is very quiet and does not have a good relationship with her daughter.
Kamil, Nanda’s best friend and is also a soldier.
Rameesha, Kamil’s wife and has a friendly personality.

Act 1, Scene 1

(Present Nadia standing at podium facing the audience)

PRESENT NADIA

Hello everyone, it sure feels good to be back in Sri Lanka. I know many of you came to attend the 5th year Memorial for my father, and I thank you graciously. But I do not think of this as a memorial service, its more of a celebration. Many of you probably thought I wouldn’t make it, and I reply saying I am here and I am staying. 5 years ago I was at the darkest part of my life and thought it was no way out. I remember it vividly as if it was yesterday.
    (lights fades to black, then Young Nadia is on stage but its Present Nadia’s voice)

YOUNG NADIA

My feet were planted firmly in the damped green grass using the fatal position at which my life depended on it. That was the line my father always used to get my full attention when it was the right time. It was time, time to shoot. Time to shoot the apple that hung from the nail of the tree. My dad and I always went neck and neck at this game. Some times my dad would try to trick me to make me loose my concentration.

NANDA

Oops, Nadia don’t mess up... wait is that your mother calling.

YOUNG NADIA

He would laugh then make this little girl voice saying

NANDA

Nadiaaaaaaa

YOUNG NADIA

This time I was not going to fall for his tricks. You can only win if you had the best shot. I aimed the black rifle gun at the apple on the tree. Click! Pow! was the sound after I pulled the trigger. That shot unleashed tons of weight lifted off my shoulders. I was stressed about things I had no control of. The restrictions of my dad visits, hurt me deeply. It had cut our bonding time. Moments with him were crucial. He was the person I could open up about anything and the same with him. We relied and trusted one another with each others life. In time he would be due for his combat shift and have to leave immediately. Hearing and seeing that was a stab in my heart, the aching pain. To get my off the negative I stuck with the positive, Any time with him was better than none.  Soon my mind floated back to reality. SPLATT! I felt my body moved back a couple of steps. There, was the exploded apple. My dad gave me a grin and a hug; pulled me closer and said in a cheerful voice

NANDA

"That’s my pretty girl, Nadia I taught you well aye!"

YOUNG NADIA

We played a couple more rounds. That was our bonding time and we loved it. After my shocking gun shot, My dad showed me no mercy. He was the winner at the end. The score was 9-5.

Act 1, Scene 2

(Lights back on at Present Nadia at the podium)

PRESENT NADIA

Daddy was off to fight. I couldn’t wait for him to come back. He is always scheduled for a break annually to pop in and check on us. The household was boring. I woke up, did my chores, ate, then went back to sleep. Where was the enjoyment? My mom always just sat in the living room and read her book. read, write, clean, and cook! That was all my mom did. And she enjoyed it. To me her life was so uninteresting. I don't have any clue on how her and my dad met. They are so different. My dad was the adventurous type, and he loved fun.  And my mom was like the person who watch fun just pass by her.
    (Light fades out and Young Nadia appears)

YOUNG NADIA

Mom come play apple blast with me.

SIAN

Didn't I tell you about that game, get in the house right now! Its dangerous, Nadia I'm protecting you!
    (Sian grabs Nadia by the shirt.)

YOUNG NADIA

Well me and daddy always play apple blast.

PRESENT NADIA

She looked me directly into my eyes as if she was looking strait through my brain. It was weird and made me feel awkward.
    (Voice in the background)

SIAN

Yes I know, but your father is off to the war, so don't touch the gun unless he is here with you.

YOUNG NADIA

But that’s not fair.

SIAN

That’s the end of it, I don't want to hear anything else about it, find something else to do, how about you hang with some of your girl friends instead of the boys all the time!

YOUNG NADIA

Its no fun
    (Lights fade at Present Nadia appears)

PRESENT NADIA

At that very moment I felt offended. It felt as if my own mom was not accepting the person I was or was becoming. She just tried to take the most important thing to me away, making it vanish from my presence. Not only was just shooting a gun at an apple. It had a deeper meaning. I was in a fight with my self and my feelings. Shooting was the stress reliever. And her taking the only thing that makes me happy was cruel. She was better off taking my soul.

(Young Nadia and her easel magically appears, she is now in her room.)

Act 2, Scene 1

(Battlefield setting, and loud noises)

KAMIL

C'mon man say something, I need you right now, Just say something for me, Help! I need a nurse! Nanda c'mon your my best friend, your like a brother to me you cant leave me! Say something, anything!
    (Kamil takes his shirt off his back and tied it around him to keep the blood from pouring out)

NANDA

Keep her safe.

KAMIL

Brother, I will do anything even put my life on the line to save your family from anything.

NANDA

Thank you brother you have really been there, tell them I love them and ….

KAMIL

Noooooooooooo
    (Scene fades out with Kamil crying.)

Act 3, Scene 1

(Morning Lights then appears Rameesha in kitchen on the phone.)

RAMEESHA

I never saw my husband act like this before. He barley eating anything, moping around. He took off from work. Nandi's death really hit him hard. Being his wife I don't know how to make him feel better. I comfort him but is that enough Yea, mhmm, I know take one day at time. But what if its not enough? Yea true, mhmm ok. uhm hmm I feel especially bad for Nandi's little girl Nadia. Well she's not little anymore but yea she is 15. She loves him to death. Not enough words can explain how much that girl loves him. I wonder she doing. Yea your right I should send Kamil around there to help out just be there for them, Ill bake some pies, Nadia loves my home made apple pies. Well I will talk to you later I need to get Kamil up so can eat something for lunch. Bye and thank you I'll make sure I tell Kamil.
    (She walks into the living room to Kamil lying on the couch.)

RAMEESHA
Honey, Come, and eat, I have lunch for you! I'm not leaving! Here open wide.

KAMIL

Im trying babe, its just…

RAMEESHA

I know honey. I am just scared for you because I know how Nanda was like a brother to you. Its hard for the rest of us too. But I was thinking maybe you could stop pass Sian house to check on her and Nadia to see how they are doing because it has been a week.

KAMIL

That’s a good idea but I don’t know.

RAMEESHA

I understand if its too much. But you have to think about how Nadia feels you how closed she was with her father. All I'm saying is just check on them. Everything is going to be okay, and if it makes you feel better I will go right along with you. Because I am your wife, I love you, and I will stand by your side at all times. So your not alone. Ramesha and Kamil together forever.

KAMIL

I will forever and always love you.

(lights fade out.)

Act 3, Scene 2

(Rameesha in bedroom & Kamil in living room)

KAMIL

Will you c’mon, how long does it take. I just want to be there first, so I can talk to Nadia and Sian. Mann, I sure miss him. What am I even going to say to Sian. Uhm, ok ready get set go! Sian, you know I love him and you all... Nahh You know he was like my brother. I know ex... Nahh its not about me its about them. Ugh what am I going to do?

RAMEESHA

You don’t need to rehearse a script. Just simply speak from your heart.

KAMIL

Wow, you look amazing. Youuu readdy?

RAMEESHA

Thank you and so do you! With you by my side, I am ready for anything!

KAMIL

Good Lets Go!

(Car noise & music lights flashing)

Act 3, Scene 3

(Nadia in her room painting & Sian cleaning living room)

SIAN

Family members and friends going to be stopping by. The house is a mess, nothing is right. Ugh why me, Nanda why did you have to leave me! I can’t do it without you. I am trying to keep everything together, but its hard. Ugh I still have to get dress, what time is it? Oh ok cool I have time. Naddddiiaaaaaaaaa come clean the kitchen, since you do nothing else, it’s the least you can do. Oh darn, we out of juice. Oh well water will do. Uhm what am I forgetting? Oh never mind I think of it later. Oh my God Nadiaaa! Come here right now! You see this, its bad luck. I know you love your father, we all do. But you know your not allowed to flip the pictures back over. You will let the evil in. Do you want that to happen? Just don’t let happen again. And what are you wearing? Go get change! You look like a raggedy boy, we have guest coming! Did you clean the kitchen like I asked you, I guess not. Ugh, I have to do everything in the house. Out my face get changed now. Don’t worry about Ill do it. Spoil brat.

(Light on Nadia in her room painting)

Act 3, Scene 4

(Light focused on Living room & Doorbell rings)

SIAN

Ok, just stay cool. Don’t get too emotional. Act as if everything is normal. Smile Sian. Breathe. All right I think Im ready. Oh hey Kamil and Rameesha, thank you so much for stopping by. I didn’t know how long you guys were staying so I roasted some turkey its in the oven. Did I ever tell you guys how you too were a great couple. You guys fit each other well. Oh well Ima check on the turkey be right back love birds ahaha.

(lights follows Sian out then focus back on Rameesha & Kamil)

RAMEESHA

Its worse than I thought Honey. She is a complete mess. She is not herself at all. I will be right back I’m going to talk to her see what’s really going on & confront her.

KAMIL

Alright cool, I will check on Nadia.

Act 3, Scene 4

(Light focus on Kitchen)

SIAN

Why, why , why me! I didn’t do anything to deserve this, I need Nanda. I thought I was going to be able to handle this, but I cant. Everything not gonna bee okkaayyyyy , how am I suppose to take care of the girl, she doesnt listen to me. Whhyyyy did I deserve this!

RAMEESHA

Shh shh shh your not alone we are here for you too. I love you Sian, we will get through this I promise. Lets Pray. Oneness of Life and Light, Entrusting in your Great Compassion, May you shed the foolishness in myself, Transforming me into a conduit of Love.

RAMEESHA & SIAN

May I be a medicine for the sick and weary, Nursing their afflictions until they are cured;
May I become food and drink, During time of famine, May I protect the helpless and the poor,May I be a lamp, For those who need your Light, May I be a bed for those who need rest, and guide all seekers to the Other Shore. May all find happiness through my actions,
and let no one suffer because of me. Whether they love or hate me, Whether they hurt or wrong me, May they all realize true entrusting, Through Other Power, and realize Supreme Nirvana. Namo Amida Buddha

SIAN

You have made me believe that there is a light at the end of this dark doomy tunnel. I really appreciate it. I needed this. Rameesha you are truly a phenomenal person. Thank you for everything.

RAMEESHA

No problem, and so are you. Any time you need to talk just let me know. I am always available. But anyway alright lets eat this delicious pie I made outside on the steps. We both could use some fresh air.

(lights follows them off stage)

Act 3, Scene 5

(Now focused on Nadia in her Room with her easel)

YOUNG NADIA

(Nadia is heated she is sitting at her easel painting)

A spoil brat! Who does she think she is! How dare she? My dad, her husband just died and she don’t even care. That woman has absolutely no feelings. She yelling about flipping the pictures back over. Who cares if that a Sri Lanka tradition. Let the evil sprits come get me, anything is better living with her. She don’t want me her fine, I got something for her.

(Nadia moves to her closet and pulls out a box. Quick flash the lights on Kamil standing by the door.)

YOUNG NADIA

Soldier this solder that! Steal, kill, and destroy. I miss my daddy. I can’t take it no more. I need to get out of here quickly, Whoever killed my dad, I will find them and finish them off myself. Why couldn’t it be someone elses dad, anybody but mine. Taking him away from me is like taking my soul. The Memories, laughs, everything gone! Why should I even carry on with my life. If I leave who will truthfully miss me?

(Interruption: Kamil knocks on the door saying “I will”.)

Act 3, Scene 6

(Room scene)

KAMIL

Listen, Nadia, its Kamil. I don’t care what you say I am coming in. Nadia I know its been hard on you, it has been on everyone. You dad was loved by all and he loved us all. I know exactly what you feeling. He was my best friend too. We been together since we was five years old. I been having nightmares ever since. I am scared. Not only for me but for you and your mom. Nadia you know you always been part of my family and I encourage you at any time if you need me let me know. You know I will be right on my way. I promised your dad that I will always keep you safe. Now I was listening outside for a couple minutes. You mother is just stressing a lot and its hard for her to bond with you because of the hardcore bond you had with you father. My advice to you is to just let her in a little bit more. Show her that you care and that you love her. And I bet it will make her smile, and you too. Remember Kind words can conquer. Now, wipe those tears. A pretty girl like you should not be crying.

YOUNG NADIA

Thank you, Uncle Kamil I really need that.

(Black out, Present Nadia and podium appears)

PRESENT NADIA

Now that talk with Uncle Kamil, literally saved my life. From that day on we build a wall of trust that was never knocked down. When times got rough at home with my mom, him and Rameesha let me live there in the extra room.

(Focus on the half of the stage, Young Nadia is in her room with Sian)

Act 3, Scene 7

YOUNG NADIA

Oh, You hate me! Well guess what I hate you too! What kind of mother treats her daughter like crap. I wished daddy was still here to see the devil you become! I’m tired of listening to an over controlling, low self esteem monster of a woman! I don’t even know why I call you mom, you don’t even act like one. You know what I’m moving with Kamil and Rameesha where everyone loves each other! Move out my way, I need to pack my clothes.

SIAN

Uhm, I don’t think so little girl. Who bought you those clothes? Oh, let me answer for you, Uhmm Me! So leave my clothes here, oh yeah and that dumb painting easel too. And get out!

YOUNG NADIA

Ugh I hate you! Have a nice life Sian

Act 4, Scene 1

(Sunrise setting, Rameesha in Nadia’s room)

RAMEESHA

Nadia, can I talk to you for a minute? Are you awake? Oh good. Breakfast ready. But I just wanted to have a minute to talk. You know have some one on one girl talk. You have been nothing but a joy to be with, and we love having you here living with us. Its just its been 10 months since you been home to your mother. Before you say anything let me just finish saying I know she did some bad things, but that’s your mom. Kamil and I have been stopping past to check on her. And she is not the same. She has been very distant lately, and just not herself. Im not saying go by there but anything, like a phone call or maybe a letter, its better than nothing. Alright so ima let you think about that. And when you ready come downstairs and eat with us. I love you Nadia, I have faith you will make the right decision.
    (Lights black out and Present Nadia pop up at podium)

Act 4, Scene 2

NADIA

Rameesha, of course was right. It didn’t even feel like it was 10 months since I seen my mom. I wonder if she missed me, or does she still hate me. I wanted answers, so the next day Rameesha dropped me off and waited outside in the car.

RAMEESHA

You made the right decision Nadia, and I am proud that you did. I will be just outside, call me if you need me. So go in. You can do it.

NADIA

Hello? Is anybody here, its me Nadia. Hello? Oh my god Mom what are you doing, are you ok. Give me that bottle, Wake up! Mom please, wake up! Rameesha! Please come quick, Hurry. I don’t know what happen. I came in the kitchen and she just was like this is. She never drinks alcohol and uhm is she going to die? I cant have anybody else die close to me, I wont be able to deal with it. Thank you Rameesha for calling. Can we go meet her at the hospital? Alright let me grab some clothes for her.

(Siren noises & Present Nadia appeared)

Act 4, Scene 3

PRESENT NADIA

I think day changed all of our lives. I never thought my mom would do that to herself. And dealing with that issue made us both stronger. Later that month after my mom was hospitalized. I moved back in with her to take care of her.

(Lights faded out Living room setting in place, With Young Nadia & Sian)

YOUNG NADIA

Anymore tea Mom?

SIAN

No thank you, but we need to talk come sit down next to me. Let me start off by just saying I am truly sorry for my past actions, all of them. I was so jealous of you and your father bond. I am so embarrassed to say this but seeing that created a deep dark hatred in my heart. Watching you leave was the hardest thing ever. Although I acted as if I didn’t care, It had hurt me deeply. And those lonely nights led to fun alcohol drinking by myself. And I overdid the drinking way too much. I was drinking Gin with my breakfast meal and twice as much with dinner. Treating you like that is the thing I most regret. Will you accept my apology?

(Lights fade & Present Nadia pops up at the podium.)

Act  4, Scene 4

(Young Nadia& Sian playing apple blast off stage)

PRESENT NADIA

The relationship between my mom and I got way better. We laughed, joked around. Everything was great. And the next day was even better.

(Lights faded and the living room setting appears)

KAMIL

Hey, Sian. You look nice today. I got great news, Where is Nadia? I want to tell you guys together. Oh she is in her room. Nadia! Hurry come here, I need to tell you something important. No, its nothing bad. So I invited my friend over for dinner the other day and he was telling how his wife does art in the U.S. I told him about you and showed him you room and all the paintings on your wall. He was amazed. And called his wife, and she requested a portfolio and an interview from you. It’s a really good job and it pays really well. The only thing is you have to live in the U.S. This is a once and lifetime opportunity. You are beyond a great artist I really think you should do it. Your old enough to take care of yourself, and plus you can always visit. Well I will let you think about it, let me know by Monday. Alright well I have to get to the market before it closes! Ok bye, Nadia let your heart decide for you. Bye, you guys. Let me know!

(light fades and Present Nadia at the podium appears)

Act 5, Scene 1

My heart sure did guide me too my choice. I am now a professional artist living in California. I couldn’t even believe it. Buddha saw my struggles and granted me with my dream job. Every morning I think about my past. And it makes me even strive and w harder. I am so proud of myself. My dad is still in my heart and I hope he is watching me achieve my dreams. Thank you all, I truly appreciate you all for coming. Let the celebration begin! Cheers!

(The Sri Lanka music comes on and every one gets up and hugs Nadia.)