Sugar Skull

A sugar skull is a symbol that is used to help celebrate the Day of the Dead which is a Mexican holiday. A sugar skull is a skull that is painted a certain way, its covered in designs and normally is mainly black and white. Sugar skulls are suppose to be very detailed and have some color. Red is a commonly used color. 

I came up with the design for my sugar skull by looking online at many different mask designs to use for reference. My mask has bits and pieces of other masks that I saw with my own personal touch. Many things in this mask were painted in the moment, I thought they would look cool so I tried it out and in the end the mask kind of all flows together. 

To start, we had to learn about what sugar skulls were and spent time looking them up and practicing drawing them. After that, we learned how to plaster masks and saw a demo. This demo lead right into the making of the masks, the mask I made is of Wynn's face. After the plastered mask is dry, the painting begun. I started by getting all the paint I needed to use and then put on the first coat of paint. I had to let it dry before I put more paint on. The second coat I put on was the white paint, I went back and put details on the mask and also outlined the designs I made in color. This helped the mask pop and brought the mask together. When I added the white paint and designs is when my mask started to look a sugar skull. Even though I was done, I still continued to go back and add more details the following class period to make the white paint looked better and to fix any errors I hadn't caught earlier.I think the different layers of colors and designs really makes the mask pop. 
Photo0024
Photo0024