A Daughter's Disappointment//Monologue

** Phone Rings**

Hey mom.

Yeah, I’m really excited about that trip! We haven’t seen you for like two summers. And we usually go every summer. I can’t wait to come to Jamaica once summer breaks comes around!

Wait, what?

But I thought you already did. Because you told that like two weeks ago.

I know but I still thought everything was all together  for next year. It’s gonna end up being a another boring summer for me.

What do mean we might come for Christmas? We don’t even have our passports together so how?

No, it’s nothing never comes out in my favor. I ask for so little and now it’s not happening. I doubt that Jamaica in Christmas will happen too. **sighs**

It doesn’t matter anymore…..

(hangs up)

Daughter(thinking): I figured that  was gonna’ go again. It’s like she doesn’t even care. Knowing that my passport expired two years. She should’ve contacted the people then. And she always  waits to the last minute. And then she gets mad at me for looking miserable all the time. ITS HER! It's like I can't even tell her about her actions because I’m a child. According to her I would be getting smart or would be having an attitude. But that is never the case. And that's the thing with me, I’m always biting my tongue. But what if I did speak? I shouldn’t hesitate…...right? She should want to know my thoughts. She should take my statement under consideration right? But I’m just a child and I need to stay in a child’s place. But when talking to her I feel a bit imitated so that’s I keep my mouth shut. And there I go again biting my tongue.

Teyonna Little (Student 2020)
Teyonna Little

Your monologue is really creative. I like how your character is something that most teens can relate to and that's being let down. I learned that your character sometimes struggles with her feelings toward her mom; she's kind of mad and irritated, then upset.

Shaheed Williams (Student 2020)
Shaheed Williams

The monologue was very realistic, thoughtful, and relatable. I learned that the character wants to speak her mind but can't because it would seem disrespectful. Her mother would bash her for saying what she needs to say.

Octavain Davis (Student 2020)
Octavain Davis

I have to agree with Mr. Payton. After reading this, not only did it make me reflect on my personal life, it demonstrates exactly how most teens feel today. Parents can sometimes be hypocrites, and us being younger, we must bite our tongues to keep are parents at bay. A hard job to do, but is completely worth it.

Kyle Thomas (Student 2020)
Kyle Thomas

I liked your monologue because you can get the relationship between the character and her mom. Also, everyone has them moments when something doesn't go as planned. I learned that the character is scared to say ants on her mind because she feels as though it will have a negative repercussion.

Kai Payton (Student 2020)
Kai Payton

Overall, I liked your monologue it was creative in my opinion. I learned that your character keeps being let down on going to see her mother even though she always tries to set something up.