alana

I chose the film “Psycho” because it was a very interesting movie to play around with. It helped Alfred Hitchcock to be the textbook for most modern day horror films, with its major plot twists and elongated angst building scenes. I renamed it “Paranoid” because the main two characters suffered from paranoia. Marion became paranoid after she stole a large sum of money and a car. She felt like she was being followed and that she would eventually get caught and imprisoned. Normen suffered from paranoia, however his paranoia was a result of his mental condition. His delusions centered around a girl he thought had bad intentions because she suggested he put his mother into a better home. I made the context of the title relate to both the victim and murderer. I allowed the words to be split to represent Norman’s Obsessive Split Personality Disorder (SPD). The boy could also represent Norman’s SPD as there appears to be two arms, one is hanging to the side and the other is holding a knife. Furthermore, the man standing still with a black silhouette of a hand holding a knife says to moviegoers, the kid isn’t innocent and is a killer, like how Normen was sweet and paranoid in the beginning but ended up killing Marion. Additionally, the “I” that is laying on the floor represents Marion, who eventually lies dead on the floor. Marion gets stabbed in the shower, so I also allowed the letters to bleed because she dies via knife and gets “split”, just in a different way. These elements will help to communicate the meaning of the movie. Additionally, the second ‘a’ covers some of the knife with blood on it because the knife isn’t supposed to be the main focus. In the movie the murder is only the second part of the movie so I slightly hid the knife. This will help to communicate the tone of the movie. The whole photo produces an eerie feeling but by adding the knife and blood, it could be identified as a horror movie. I would advertise this poster only at dusk. I feel the time of day would add to the creepiness. I would change the genre from a thriller to a murder mystery because the way the movie is portrayed it is a “who done it” film.

Screenshot (3)
Screenshot (3)