Altruism In Evolution

Altruism In Evolution

Reciprocal altruism is described as when one animal acts for the benefit of another animal and in doing so decreases its own fitness. It is in an organism’s best interest to behave altruistically, because that increases the chances of an organism returning the favor – thus enhancing its chances to pass on it’s genes. This is true in organisms, from humans to vampire bats. Most social organism can benefit from behaving altruistically.

It is the foundation of evolution that organisms have the need to pass on its genes. Without it, we would all go extinct. Friends don’t keep providing favors to another friend, if the other friend never reciprocates, businesses stop providing services to another business if that business is about go to bankrupt. It’s human nature to do what’s in the best interest for you.

Vampire bats also provide an excellent example of altruism amongst organisms. Vampire bats require blood meals every night. Due to the nature of their diet, they begin to deteriorate after merely two days of missing a meal. regularly regurgitate blood and donate it to other members of their group who have failed to feed that night, ensuring they do not starve.

The cliché “nice guys finish last” has been disproven throughout the years. By behaving altruistically, an organism reduces the number of offspring it is likely to produce itself, but boosts the number that other organisms are likely to produce. So why would an organism behave in such a manner? The reason for this behavior is because in the future the giving animal expects to be able to receive that same service in its own time of need. 

Citations

• Axelrod, R. and Hamilton, W. D., 1981, ‘The Evolution of Cooperation’, Science, 211: 1390-96
  • "Biological Altruism." Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. 2003. Web.
  • Mesterton-Gibbons, M. a. L. A. D. (1992). "Cooperation Among Unrelated Individuals:  Evolutionary Factors." Quarterly Review of Biology 67(3): 267-281.